191,000 miles
Oil and oil level good
HPOP resevoir full
55 psi fuel pressure
#8 fuse not blown
installed 2 ea new CPS
new batteries
new starter

When cranked, hits to start but doesn't take. Acts just like previous CPS failures but that hasn't worked this time.:dunno

93turbo_animal

Full Access Member
Reaction score
does the wait to start light come on? when trying to crank is there smoke coming out of the exhaust? is it cold there? or cool below 60?

DaveBen

SDD Senior Member
Reaction score
I think animal is correct. It has to be the glow plugs. They can be checked with an ohm meter. If there is an open circuit they are bad. If you get any reading they are probably good. You will have to test each one. Use only Beru or Motorcraft glow plugs, the others are junk.

Dave

dommertl

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the responses. Now to answer the questions asked.

1) I will check the #30 30 amp fuse under the dash.

2)The WTS does come on. After about 5 to 7 seconds cranking it hits like it is trying to start and am pumping light colored smoke out exhaust. the temperatures here are high 50s' to low 60s' in the mornings.

3) glow plugs and injectors were replaced 10,000 miles ago but I will check them.

4) I will check the relay also.

Am getting the oil rail pressure checked today to verify the HPOP.

93turbo_animal

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Your relay is toast the smoke out the exhaust means your getting fuel in the cylinders its just not lighting it. These things need heat to start the first time even when its pretty warm out

dommertl

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Still need help. All things suggested check out ok so I guess I need to purchase the correct scanner for my truck. Any info on the correct ones and where they may be purchased would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

DaveBen

SDD Senior Member
Reaction score
The best scanner for all vehicles is the Autoenginuity software/hardware package. It runs on a laptop and scans all vehicles with the OBD II connector. Here; autoengineuity.com

Dave

Last edited:

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Colvinecoboost14