Question 97 Hub issues??

97DISEASEL

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Started tearing down the front end today to replace all four ball joints. While I was removing the R/F hub (Auto hubs) and noticed little metal chunks everywhere. Behind the snap ring there was one splined washer, one thrust washer and the bearing retainer wasnt even hand tight.
Moved over to the L/F and found a splined washer, a thick washer (appears to be the same material as the demolished one on the right), thrust washer, and a half moon clip that sits in the keyway (seems to lock the bearing retainer nut). So, is my R/F hub done or can I just replace the washer and lock ring.
Sucks when you buy used and dont know what shade tree came before. But I think this also solves my vibration in the front with the bearing being loose.

bigrigr

Real trks hv 3 pdls
Reaction score
As long as the spindle is o.k. then you should just be able to replace the washer and clip, I know some ford models you can buy a whole retaining kit with everything you need except the bearings, check with ford on that one. And don't forget to check that outer bearing really good, if there is metal floating around, it could have damaged those bearings so be carefull. My vote is get new bearings and retainers and do it right so you only have to do it once. imo

97DISEASEL

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
yeah my plan was to do bearings, seals, clean and grease everything well. I read so much about hub issues on this site on the later model SDs. Little gun shy I guess. Just wasnt sure if I could get those washers/ retainers seperately. What is your vote on changing to manual hubs??
I was thinking of doing rotors/hub too. Do you know of any good aftermarket??
Thanks for your support bigrigr!!!!;tu

BJS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm all 100% for changing to aftermarket manual hubs.

I love the superwinch hubs on my truck and the excellent customer support I received from them. I had one of the allen nuts get seized up and consequentally stripped out, I slipped with the drill and messed up the hub. I called to try and buy just the piece I needed and they said don't worry about it we'll send it to you at no charge. When it showed up on my doorstep later the same week there was a pair of brand new hubs.

97DISEASEL

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Thanks BJS. Did you get them directly from superwinch?? How much? I saw the Warns for around $200.
It was $325 my cost for new joints (Moog), bearings, races, seals, and a big ass socket for the retainer nut. Ford wanted to charge $1200 just for the joints and install. Then alignment and camber adjusters extra. So I guess I have a little extra money!!;tu

bigrigr

Real trks hv 3 pdls
Reaction score
Good job on the saving money thing, leaves you some left over for the fun stuff! The warn hubs are obviously good, but more money than superwinch, there's something to be said about customer service though. If there that good to deal with, try em. I've never heard of an actual superwinch failure before. And by the way, a little anti-seize on the head of the allen bolts will keep them from corrodeing to the hub casing. good luck, and happy wrenching!

bigrigr

Real trks hv 3 pdls
Reaction score
For what it's worth, anything is better than the ford auto hubs. You can't trade down with almost any brand of manual hubs. Autos SUK! jmo :rant

BJS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
mine came on the truck from the previous owner who lived in idaho hence the source of the problems with the allen bolts sticking.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Colvinecoboost14