99 550 power loss & 04-05 reliability

gt40freak

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
We have a 99 F550 that has over 320,000 miles. We are running straight exhaust due previous power loss. That time the Cat was plugged. Now it is loosing power again. It is especially slow when cold, after idling for a few minutes, or after being parked with engine off but not cold. It also seems to pop out of the exhaust durring this time of less power. Even after it gets its power it doesn't have as much as it used to. Even while on the highway sometimes it dropps power and I can only get it to 55 mph then it comes back. Is the engine just wore out due to the low 4.88 gears at 65 mph it runs about 2500 rpm, and 80 is close to 3000. I have seen a lot of F650s & 750s with new or rebuilt PSDs after 300,000 miles. Also we are looking for a 04 or 05 F450 are many people having problems with those years. I have seen many people posting problems with them on other forums but I know that the ones with the problems are the people that complain. I just want to know about what percentage of 04 & 05s have issues.

94f450sd

certified nutjob
Reaction score
when was the last fuel filter change,oil change?what color was the fuel in the filter bowl?if it is oily/black its highly likely youneed injector o rings.

whatabudro

Launched
Reaction score
It is especially slow when cold, after idling for a few minutes, or after being parked with engine off but not cold.

I may be way out of bounds here, because I'm assuming a 99 F550 has an EBPV (exhaust back pressure valve) but here we go. The valve is there for the sole purpose of shortening the time it takes to warm up the engine. The valve closes and opens by the control of the ecm to add an additional load to the engine by closing a butterlfy in the exhaust side of the turbo. Try inspecting the EBPV and the EBPV tube, its more than likely clogged with soot. Everything you mentioned could be caused by a closed or partialy closed valve IMO.

Here's a picture of the valve before and after on mine. I simply gutted the entire system on mine.

show_image.php

show_image.php

There's more to it than just removing the butterfly, but that should give you a visual of what I'm talking about. Also, I never messed with the tube on mine, but that could be your entire problem and its an easy fix from what I've read. Someone might chime in on whats involved in cleaning the tube.

Fire1

Certified Diesel Driver
Reaction score
I'm thinking EBPV too. We had an Ambulance that had similar symptoms a few years ago.

gt40freak

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
I know it is not the EBPV I have already checked that could it be the HP oil pump. I just remembered about a year and a half ago the oil fill cap was left off and used on a rainy day. After that it lost power but we changed the oil and it got better. Could the HP oil pump have suffered some damage then but now getting worse. I don't remember how long ago it was but it wasnt that long ago that I changed the oil, oil filter, fuel filter, and air filter. The fuel in the filter was clean. How do you check the fuel pressure?

fisteck

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
You might think about injectors if you got water in your oil that time with the cap off. The water, it can kill injectors.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodrow58