99 f-350 mods on 7.3 psd

errol

Reaction score
ok guys I need some advised here: I want to do some mods for towing my fifth wheel. the truck already does a pretty good job stock but would also like some improvement. I have a reputable shop in tn that will "install' the gauges I need plus mounting with pillow pod (EGT, Boost & tranny), a complete cold air intake, 4" stainless turbo back, with stainless tip, and the "superchip" which will be installed towing mode. all this for $1823.00, what I would like you guys expert opinion is..is this a good price (everything installed) and will this improve preformance to warrent the expense ? thanks for any and all feed back on this subject.

Crumm

Fordoholic
Reaction score
Those mods are a good start as far as improving performance. Price does seem a little high to me but I try to do my own installations as labor is very spendy. Only thing I can recommend is you might look into some custom chip options from some of our sponsors as a custom tuned chip will give you much more bang for your buck than standard Superchip tunes. Gages, intake and exhaust are the best place to start :sweet

fordtrucker4life!

I work with waste
Reaction score
I think it is a pretty good price because I just put a Banks exhaust system on a 97 F450 with a 460 gasser that cost $2,000. The kit was all stainless including headers, muffler, y pipe, and tail pipe.

platinum01

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Price sounds pretty good. But like Crumm said I like to do all the work to my own truck. Check out some of the sponsors.

Tail_Gunner

CRJ & ERJ A&P Mech.
Reaction score
If you have an early 99, instead of getting a Superchip, give DP-Tuner a call and get a 99.5 PCM with either a 80hp econo tune or a 60hp towing tune on the PCM.

The best mod I ever did for my early 99 was to get that 99.5 PCM with the 80hp econo tune flashed on it. The performance increase was sweet :sweet , but was even better was the improved way the tranny functioned.

Before, with the XLE tune on the early 99 PCM, the tranny didn't like to stay in O/D when towing into a headwind or uphill grade. It would drop down a gear at any provocation, it was frustating to the point of being maddening.

Afterwards, the tranny would hold in O/D and let the motor's torque do it's job. It was the most pleasing mod I've done to the truck.

Even if your truck is a 99.5, I'd go with a chip or tuner from Jody, Tad or Tony. You'll get more "bang for the buck" than with Superchips.

FWIW, here's a condensed version "re-print" of my first experience with a DP-Tuner PCM w/ 80hp Econo tune:

Well, the DP Tuner fairy came in the little brown truck today, bearing a PCM flashed with a Econo/ 80 hp tune.

It only took me about 10 minutes to swap out the PCM's. I get Jody's PCM installed and head for the highway. I turn onto the highway, apply light pressure to the "Go Pedal" and I instantly hear this horrendous sound of rubber being removed from the rear tires. So I let up on my right foot and try again. This time with even less pressure from my right foot.

I come to a stop sign, and think to myself "OK, lets see if this DP-Tuner guy is all he is cracked up to be." Well, I slowly roll through the intersection, and the right foot goes to the floor. "DDDDDAAAAAMMMMMNNNN!!!!!" I've been driving this truck for 5 1/2 years and it has NEVER moved like this, even with the Banks chip!! My arse gets pressed into the seat so hard, I think I killed what was left of the cushion. I look in the passenger side mirror & there is light to moderate smoke coming out the exhaust. Not bad, but enough to let folks know this is a truck to be reckoned with.

Boost: most I usually see with the Banks chip- 22, 24 on a good day. Observed boost with the DP-Tuner Econo PCM- 28 psi!!!! THIS TRUCK HAS NEVER SEEN THAT MUCH BOOST BEFORE!! And this wasn't even an optimal day either! On a better day weather wise, it would likely go higher than that. Keep in mind also, this is an early build 99 with a tiny, "stock-as-the-day-it-was-born" turbo!!

Last edited:

fgtex

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Errol,
Where are you located at? You may be able to get by with a less expensive exhaust if you are in the southern part of the country, unless you just want the stainless setup. You can also go with the DIY NAPA airfilter setup for like $40.

errol

Reaction score
thanks a lot all you guys! and thank you tailgunner, I have been reading about dp tuner, and I think I am real close to one in Ashville Nc right now. giving him a call monday am. FGtex, I am a fulltime rv'er living "anywhere USA"!! LOL, but right now i'm staying in waynesville NC till july 8th. So I'm gonna check around some here and Ashville which is only 30 miles away. I will have to have most mods (like exhaust work) done at a shop coz most campgrounds frown on working on trucks. if you dont mind plz e-mail me about the inexpensive exhaust system and the cold air mod! e-mail [email protected]
thanks alot for all the info and help, this is a great site and a great bunch of guys! also my truck was manf. 08/98, so I guess it is an early 99

Last edited:

fgtex

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Here is the link to the SDD How-To for the DIY Intake: TikiWiki : DIY Large conical style air filter.

The stainless exhuast is necessary if you spend time in an area that uses road salt in the winter when the roads ice over. Aluminized is about half the price of the stainless setup.

The above links are to one of our sponsors. You can look at the top of the main page to get a list of sponsors.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Well seens how in parts alone i have spent 1700 bucks for exhaust, gauges, programmer, and intake i'd say yeah thats a good price installed.

bdrummonds

Maximum Overdrive
Reaction score
Hey Errol, come down to Alabama and stay at Wind Creek State Park, and we can do all the above in my driveway for way less than 1800.00. guages 350.00, 46637 air filter 60.00, 4" aluminized exh 400.00, DP F-5 with a couple of tunes 450.00. for another 165.00 we could put on a Cross Connect kit to tie your fuel rails together, and a Stainless HPXover oil line. do a zoodad and a CCV mod for less than 15.00. and even get a BTS Valve body for the tranny for 250.00, you could figure about 100.00 in misc. fittings and fluids and still come up under 1800.00. Only labor charge would be adult beverages and BBQ.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodrow58