Help Needed 99 F250 auto transmission noise?

rotorholic

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My truck rattles at idle and goes away around 1,200rpm, It sounds like the noise is coming from the converter? It shifts fine but the rattle is driving me crazy :dizzy, Is there other members who have the same problem? And how can I fix it :dunno? thanks.....
99 7.3 superduty f250

early 99 stroker

Full Access Member
Reaction score
sounds like you need a new TC..the early 99 has always had a bad rattle that came from the TC..it drove me crazy as well..the new tripile disc is much better..

BJS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
another possibility that is not completely abnormal is a cracked flex plate, sadly you will not be able to tell the difference between the two until you get the transmission out.

dmd

Reaction score
I have heard a bunch of those nosey 99's. One guy said it was a special transmission
he had.... Just like that stock twin turbo 2001 the other guy had. Both had no clue what
they were talking about.

rotorholic

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It rattles loud, sounds like there is a bag of nuts/bolts inside. Where can I find the best deal on a good converter...

early 99 stroker

Full Access Member
Reaction score
any where from 800 to 1500 depending on your mods and plans for your truck...the flex plate might be worth looking into as well..with the rattling TC in the 99 trucks the flex plate where not all that great ether..pull the plastic cover off from between the trans and motor and check it out..have a friend bump the key to turn the fly wheel or use a socket on the crank pully up front..

dmd

Reaction score
Please make sure nothing is near the flex plate of TC when someone is
bumping the key. It could start!!

Make sure the key is out of the ignition before getting near the exposed flex
plate and TC...

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Colvinecoboost14