Help Needed 99 F350 Right Side I-Beam Bracket FAILURE

Bubba

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Anyone ever had or heard of this happening?
Truck is a 1999 F350, Super Duty, 4 door, extended bed Dually 2WD Automatic with 271363 miles.
OK here is the problem, left house 2 miles down the road steering goes into MAJOR SHIMMYING. Was driving 35-40mph, no steering available, off gas, truck headed to left side of road, no braking at beginning, then as TWO telephone coming up 3 feet off side of road, time for brakes and was a no go, hit poles, road was wet due to rain. Ok here is what I find once truck is pulled from pole and gotten home. The passenger side I-Beam is wedged up under the oil pan, upon further inspection the bracket that holds the I beam on, which is just forward of the oil pan, is still attached to the I beam. Looks at if there were three bolts holding this on???? Also my daughter found on the road about 75 feet behind the truck, while it was still on poles, was a small piece of metal 4 to 5 inches long (late and it is raining and piece is in garage) with what was two bolts, pressed in bolts, with about 1/2 inch or a little less of the threads left. The bolts with nuts, had sheared off clean no indication and or stripped threads. We did not find any other bolts, but was raining after the incident. Once I-beam fell. tire leaned into the coil spring so therefore NO STEERING was available.
Now I have had the truck aligned and two tire rods replaced over the last 6 years, had had the truck in for alignment check within the last year, as I had a slight pull to the right and some tire wear not excessive but I drive alot and wanted in check when I was visiting mom, as her town has a truck shop I have worked with before while living there. Where I live no has no where to align a dually, FORD dealer is hour away and WILL NEVER use them for ANYTHING. Ok turned out the belt in the right front had shifted, replaced tire. handled great. Truck gave NO INDICATION of trouble! Fact truck had not been driven for 2 days since returning from a 350 mile Interstate trip at 80 mph, weekend before it had been 600 + miles. No shimmy, no shake, no DEATH Wobble at any speed, no wobble or shake with braking. So no warning what so ever! Now I want to say this, first thing I did when truck came to an abrupt stop was to THANK GOD for my salvation and his protection, because if I had been on Interstate or the highway I was headed to, speed limit 60, I would not be here asking this question. I know long winded but am a little PEEVED at the results. I have searched the web and all forums I am a member of for anything close. even searching on death wobble.
Now I believe to the bracket can be re-installed (???) once dropping complete suspension, Ball joints, tie rods, and hub. Truck still runs, no engine or radiator damage, or AC Condenser, had a WAAG brush guard that took the brunt of impact so lost it, bumper, and grill, hood is bent, along with right side fender, these are due to a Cable-vision box that had 3 12 volt batteries, the size for golf carts(??) that came out and destroyed the hood and bent top of pass fender. So as far as body damage, could have been a lot worse, and I will try and find another WAAG Brush guard for sure.
So if anyone knows about this happening to them or some one please let me know. I have had suspension failures before, but nothing like this. I am crafting a letter to FORD.
Anyone think this I-Beam bracket can be reattached and SAFELY driven again? Or is there an alternative that I could use to replace the I-Beam suspension? Only problem in the 8 years I have owned it, water pump, AC quit, Alternator, two weeks before incident, belt tensioner, and replaced the tranny 1 1/2 years ago due to failure/over heating.
I am at a loss with no truck, life is tough when you drive it and use it all the time.
Thanks in advance!!!!

BJS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Glad to hear that you are alive and well. Praise God.

Now on to the truck. the suspension brackets that were riveted in from the factory can be replaced with bolts. This is frequently done with lift kits where alternative mounting brackets are used. I haven't personally inspected the suspension of a 2wd SD but have spent my fair share of time under other ford I-beam truck suspensions. I'd love to see some pictures of the failures and might be able to help make suggestions on repairs and keeping the problem from happening in the future.

JLDickmon

ursus combibo
Reaction score
but yes, this does happen.

It wasn't the I-beam, it was the radius arm bracket, right?

Spring perches rot on the 4wd Rangers, Bronco II's and Explorers.
Rear spring perches rot on the Rangers and E- vans.

We do a ton of them.

Dogman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Like BJS said you can pop the old rivets out and rebolt with a Grade 8 bolts and washers. But you need to check for any other damage and/or cracks around the rivet areas and so forth. Post some pic so we can spot anything more.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Colvinecoboost14