99 late or early

01Extreme69

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Got the 99 350 SD. How do I know if its late or early 99?? I am stating to understand that there is a difference. Not really sure what, but I think I need to know.

black_cloud_stroker00

GO BIG RED!!!
Reaction score
is the hot side of the intercooler pipe wrapped in insulation? I heard that in 99.5 they wrapped the pipe because owners were complaining about 2 much turbo noise. Also the early 99 had the "wicked wheel" compressor wheel. ford did away with is in late 99. That's all i know. more knowlagable (sp?) people should be chiming in soon.

orion_134

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Check the inside of your door for the build date. Pre Mar-99 is early. It has a smaller turbo, smaller intake tubes on the engine, inferior tranny programming (gear hunting in hills), different track bar and locator, front u-bolts, and pitman arm.
HTH,
Jesse

Tail_Gunner

CRJ & ERJ A&P Mech.
Reaction score
Check the inside of your door for the build date. Pre Mar-99 is early. It has a smaller turbo, smaller intake tubes on the engine, inferior tranny programming (gear hunting in hills), different track bar and locator, front u-bolts, and pitman arm.
HTH,
Jesse

Actually, the switchover date was about 12/8/98. Prior to that date it was an early 99. Mine early 99 was built about 2 weeks prior in 11/98.

A couple of indicators are these:
If it has an OEM exhaust system and has a catalytic convertor, it is an early 99. The "cat" was done away with on vehicles built after 12/8/98.

If it has an air intake heater (AIH) in the intake manifold (the "Y" pipe between the turbo and the intake covers on the heads), then it is a 99.5. The AIH was one of the revisions that came with the 99.5.

Don't go by fender or door badges. There doesn't seem to be any clear cut answer that I've seen that somebody hasn't been able to find a contradiction to.

I have to whole heartedly agree on the comment about inferior programing. Mine was pissing me off on an almost daily basis when towing. Then I got a 99.5 PCM from DP-Tuner with a 80hp Econotune. OMG :eek: :eek: what a huge difference. By far the best mod that can be done for an early 99!!!

orion_134

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hmm, maybe it was Mar-99 that they switched over on the suspension...that's the date used by suspension lift companies to determine what kind of front kit to supply. Mine was Sep, so I know mine's early:)
Jesse

Tail_Gunner

CRJ & ERJ A&P Mech.
Reaction score
Hmm, maybe it was Mar-99 that they switched over on the suspension...that's the date used by suspension lift companies to determine what kind of front kit to supply. Jesse

I think you're pretty close on that.:sweet
Now that you mention it, the Mar99 date often comes up concerning wheel bearing & front brake rotors.

01Extreme69

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok, so now I am really confused. How would I know if I have the wicked wheel or not? Sorry if I sound uneducated. This is my first diesel. When I got it, my friend said he had the wicked wheel from the factory. But I know he didnt know alot either. But how can I tell for sure? Just remember I dont know alot about it so bare with me please.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodrow58