New Owner! 99 PSD supercab 4x4 Lariat F-250

ckelly99PS

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
A couple weeks ago I got my first diesel truck mainly for the power and better mileage than my previous truck (94 F-250 4x4 with a 351 and 4.10 gears). So far I love it for towing my 30' Dutchmen camper, and my daughters horse trailer to all the shows she wants to go to.

I have been getting 13 MPG towing the 7000 lb travel trailer, and am pretty happy with that, but want to get the empty MPG up to the 20 MPG range for my 50 mile commute.

The truck already has 4" downpipe and full exhaust, I have a better flowing air filter intake on order, and will be changing out the diff, trans, and transfer case oils with synthetic oils and gear lubes. My next project will probably be the EDGE juice with attitude controller to be able to get more power and better mileage.

DaveBen

SDD Senior Member
Reaction score
What truck are you referring to? Add this information to your signature by going to the USER CP on the top BLUE LINE and click on EDIT MY SIGNATURE and fill it out. I have no idea of what truck you are referring to.

Dave:)

rammertide07

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What kind of air intake did you order for the truck? I would suggest a custom tuned chip from DP or Tony Wildman. I already have the TS chip so I'm getting it re-burned by TW. With my current mods I get about 18mpg at 70 (all of this is according to the lie-ometer). I drove a steady 45-53mph on the Natchez Trace for 3hrs and got 23mpg. All of this was with the overhead display reset after take-off and steady driving.....not stop-and-go traffic.

I have oversized tires, so I can not get an accurate mpg calculated becase my spedometer is thrown off.

ckelly99PS

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Rammertide;..........You are probably getting better mileage than indicated on your center console because the bigger diameter tires aren't rotating as many times per mile as the stock size, making the computer believe you haven't traveled as far.

I've got an AFE stage 1 kit on it's way, and also need a set of tires. I'll be looking at 265/75/16 Bridestones Duelers or Cooper Discoverers of which I can get a (buy 3 get one free) deal because dad retired from Cooper, and I work for Bridgestone currently.

rammertide07

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Rammertide;..........You are probably getting better mileage than indicated on your center console because the bigger diameter tires aren't rotating as many times per mile as the stock size, making the computer believe you haven't traveled as far.

I've got an AFE stage 1 kit on it's way, and also need a set of tires. I'll be looking at 265/75/16 Bridestones Duelers or Cooper Discoverers of which I can get a (buy 3 get one free) deal because dad retired from Cooper, and I work for Bridgestone currently.

I figured I may be getting better milage because of that reason, but I'm not sure how +/- accurate that thing is.

I like my AFE stage 1....But I wish I went with a stage II, They are more expensive but I've read reveiws that there is a big difference. AFE is a good name brand of filters.....better than K&N in my oppinion.

DaveBen

SDD Senior Member
Reaction score
K&N filters do not filter out the fine dust and you will see inside of the filtered air passages. This will trash your turbo.

Dave

rammertide07

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yep, ClintUSAF posted a pic of one of his friends truck's intake that used a K&N...and then I posted a pic of my intake. My intake pic was after, I know, 40,000 miles running the AFE. Before I had the AFE it had a box style K&N filter.

....as you can see, the K&N allowed more crudd in and caked up against the walls because of the ccv

Last edited:

02SilverStroke

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Welcome aboard!!! When I had my diesel (2002 F-250 2WD Crew Cab 6 1/2 ft bed), I usually got 16-18 mpg on my daily commute (city/highway). On a trip I would get around 20 mpg and got the best mileage when the rpm's were below 2000. Usually when I got to 70 the rpm's were at 2000. Also, as the "experts" say, don't do any "jackrabbit" starts. I tried to keep my starts pretty slow, which also helped. I kept mine stock the entire time and I traded it at 165,000 miles. It had the LT285/75R16 tires.

ckelly99PS

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Well, as it turns out, the stage 1 AFE does not fit the early 99 trucks so I cancelled that order and went with the RiffRaff diesel special AFE "big boost" filter (850CFM) that has the black prefilter sock, and the curved intake pipe for $100 less than the stage 1 kit.

This frees up money for my Amsoil synthetic ATF for the transmission and transfer case......cool. I also took apart my center console and fixed 3 out of 4 functions on my comuter display, I still don't have intantaneous MPG, but will get a 68 Ohm resister to solder in before I put it all back together.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Colvinecoboost14