Help Needed 99 SD 7.3 cold start problems

rudolphvan

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Greetings fellow enthusiasts, snows coming soon and recently my truck is a little hard to start on the frosty mornings. Thinking of checking glow plugs and buying a set on ebay...they seem cheap, have any of you 7.3 owners tried these plugs, they say they are OEM. The Ford dealer in town wants way too much. Suggestions anyone?

JRJ04

Reaction score
First, I would check your batteries. Have them load tested individually to make sure they are both strong. Also, make sure your connections are clean, and corosion free.

If they battries are weak/bad, replace them BOTH.

After that, yes glow plugs would be a good place to start. Stick to Motorcraft glowplugs only! This is one place you dont want to try and save money. I would be leary of some ebay ones...

Good luck!

melmount

Full Access Member
Reaction score
advance auto part number for the relay is "gpr7"
thats 17 dollars too. Its slightly different then the original with wire placemsnt but they fit. It bolts right in place. Its not that ord part number but the internals are the same. The correct part number one is 40 something but internally the same.

CKyle494

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Or get a kick azz relay from Mouser and never worry with the POS stock ones again. This one is GREAT and alot of others have them also. VERY HEAVY DUTY!

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodrow58