a big load

RoyBoy

Diesel Dork
Reaction score
clicky
This is heading out of a factory about 15 miles from me...

I wonder if they need a back up pulling truck...

:lmao

250,000 just for trucking:eek:

Last edited:

BamaSixGun

SDD Super Mod/Staff
Reaction score
I talked to company the other day that is moving some big equipment from OH to OR. It was a $70,000 load. The permit alone in OH was 20 grand.

Crumm

Fordoholic
Reaction score
I wonder if they need a back up pulling truck

Up here we use push trucks rather than pull trucks. In this picture you can see a push truck in the front and another 4 push trucks behind the load. When they get to the top of a grade one gets in front like this to help hold the load back going downhill. This picture is of Carlile Transportation hauling a 200,000 lb module, grossing around 350,000. Alaska West Express and a few other company's also use push trucks. Most I have seen is 5 push trucks on one load. Takes a little extra push to get a load like that up a 12% grade.

hh_1.jpg

Here is a video of a 419,000 pound Reactor vessel they hauled from Anchorage to Kenai. The guy on the rear steer gets a little cold in our current temps. You can see two push trucks following along.

bushpilot

Full Access Member
Reaction score
250 feet LONG ! max speed 45mph...thats either gonna be the
most TENSE 3 weeks on the road or the most BORING !

i wonder how many tires theyll burst

Sawboy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
WOW!!! That's some really cool sh!t Crumm. On the push trucks, are those just big heavy cases loaded with something for weight over the axles, or are they hauling something as well?

BIG JOE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey Crumm ??

How do they get the Pull/Push trucks in Sync ?? for power ??

You'd think they'd build that steering unit guy a Cab:cold 3

Crumm

Fordoholic
Reaction score
are those just big heavy cases loaded with something for weight over the axles, or are they hauling something as well?

Most of them use big blocks of concrete. In the past they use to use pallets of drilling mud but another company has the mud contract now. Smaller loads use general freight on a flatbed rather than a deck such as yesterday a met a truck hauling a D10 and his push truck was hauling the blade off the D10 on a flatbed.

Hey Crumm ??

How do they get the Pull/Push trucks in Sync ?? for power ??

They communicate via VHF radio and all get in the same gear selected by the lead driver. They make sure they don't all shift at the same time so that they don't lose it all.

A few weeks ago there was a load with two push trucks that spun out on Coldfoot hill. Once they got done sliding the first push truck was over the bank laying on its side and the second one had lost its trailer over the bank. The producers of the Ice Road Truckers show just happen to be up North filming for a new upcoming show so you might someday get to see the mess :doh:

BIG JOE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
All sounds very interesting. Are the push/pull guys a Team of the same drivers ? Seems like they'd have to be.. No time to Learn, when the wheels start roll'n.

Sounds like, Ice Road Truckers might be makeing a series out of your Haul Routes ??

Reaction score
Our push truck was converted to an automatic to keep from losing our load. That trailer has us beat by 6 axles but i got him on weight.

milliondollartrailer-1.jpg

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jarrburg