A few questions about the new powerstroke?

B R Y A N

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
hi all
I was wondering if theres anything I need to look out for when buying a brand new 6.4? Is there any problems I need to know about? thanks guys. This will be my 3rd diesel truck so im not new to the game per say. I use to own a 7.3 then I went to a duramax now I wana come back to ford.. All i do with my truck is tow my mustang to the races... thanks
Bryan

EmptyDub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The only "problem" that I've had with mine versus other trucks so far is the mileage. I realize it's not going to sip fuel like a hybrid, but I can only squeeze about 15 mpg on average outta this thing. My dad had an '06 Dodge DUALLY that got 22mpg bone stock!

A lot of it has to do with the addition of the Diesel Particulate Filter (DPF) in '08. Kinda like having a second cat (some more EPA crap). It collects the soot from the exhaust, and then raises the temperature of the filter by dumping fuel in it and burning it off. It usually does this every few hundred miles (more or less often depending on how hard you drive it). There's also a slight loss of power and mpg's when it goes into "regen mode" but not TOO noticeable.

Ford recommends no more than 5% bio fuel (ULSD ONLY!), and that you not let the 6.4 idle more than 5-10 min (at the most) at a time. This is because the DPF will eventually clog, screw up the engine, and void your warranty! I think some guys here have played around with some bio-fuel in the 6.4, but I don't recall reading any results. Ford may just be screaming like Chicken-Little about the "no-idle" and "no bio-fuel" issues, but it's not worth voiding my warranty to find out.

None of these things are really problems, just some things to be aware of and think about when making a decision. Of course I can only speak for my own experience.... but other than that, I've really been satisfied with the power, styling, and quality. I don't do a lot of heavy towing like some other guys here, but it does great towing my 21' camping trailer. Sorry for being long-winded, hope this helps. ;tu

B R Y A N

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
The only "problem" that I've had with mine versus other trucks so far is the mileage. I realize it's not going to sip fuel like a hybrid, but I can only squeeze about 15 mpg on average outta this thing. My dad had an '06 Dodge DUALLY that got 22mpg bone stock!

A lot of it has to do with the addition of the Diesel Particulate Filter (DPF) in '08. Kinda like having a second cat (some more EPA crap). It collects the soot from the exhaust, and then raises the temperature of the filter by dumping fuel in it and burning it off. It usually does this every few hundred miles (more or less often depending on how hard you drive it). There's also a slight loss of power and mpg's when it goes into "regen mode" but not TOO noticeable.

Ford recommends no more than 5% bio fuel (ULSD ONLY!), and that you not let the 6.4 idle more than 5-10 min (at the most) at a time. This is because the DPF will eventually clog, screw up the engine, and void your warranty! I think some guys here have played around with some bio-fuel in the 6.4, but I don't recall reading any results. Ford may just be screaming like Chicken-Little about the "no-idle" and "no bio-fuel" issues, but it's not worth voiding my warranty to find out.

None of these things are really problems, just some things to be aware of and think about when making a decision. Of course I can only speak for my own experience.... but other than that, I've really been satisfied with the power, styling, and quality. I don't do a lot of heavy towing like some other guys here, but it does great towing my 21' camping trailer. Sorry for being long-winded, hope this helps. ;tu

So I can void my warranty because i let my truck idle for to long?:confused::confused: wtf? thats something new to me.. That would be a problem because I normally let the truck idle for about 30min or so whet work I'm on lunch break also i kinda have a led foot. you pretty much have to if you live in south Florida..:innocent

B R Y A N

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Also the no bio diesel wont be a problem becuase i've never ran it.. I know a few people that have had problems with it before so i just stay away from it..

EmptyDub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I could easily be wrong about the "no long idle" issue (sure wouldn't be the first time! :lmao ), but that's what I've been told. If I recall correctly, it stated something about the "no idle for long periods" on the owner's manual dvd that came with the truck. I DO know that it says not to park near dry grass or flamable objects when in regen mode 'cause it'll start a fire from the extreme heat! I can tell you one thing from experience... letting it idle will KILL the mpg's on these trucks. And if the idling doesn't do it, the regen mode will!

nailbender8usmc

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
If you have not bought the Ford yet, DON'T! Wait for the 2011 Chevy Duramax to hit the dealers and then go get you one. The 6.4 Powerjokes are junk!

hdjeff

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've had a 6.4 for over the past 3 years and the only problem I had was an EGR valve went bad, fixed under warranty. My 08 F250 would easily avg. 17-19 mpg and my current F-350 is avg. 15 mpg but its brand new, not broke in yet. I used to plow snow with my 08 and I'd idle it for up to an hour at times while waiting in the snow. Never had any issues although I did use a high idle. I like the trucks, sometimes the input on these types of forums are only negative since people are reaching out for help with an issue. A lot of guys like the 6.4, believe it or not. If you think the 6.4 has problems, wait for the 11's with the DPF, SCR and more emissions crap to screw up. I ended up doing the same thing as you, I had a 97 7.3 PSD, went to an 05 Duramax and this is now my 2nd 6.4 diesel.

sawed off

Party like a rockstar
Reaction score
I havent had any problems with mine, I did do the high idle mod on it. The only downfall for the new 6.4's is the fuel milage in my mind. But you can always do a few mods to change that if your willing to possiably void the warrenty of coarse

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jarrburg