A mystery

Nasty

Full Access Member
Reaction score
is what I have. I don't know if and how to describe it (the sound). This past few days, about 300 miles, am getting an intermitent noise from the front end. When I'm driving it sounds like the drivers front and the passenger will swear it's from the right front. Almost like a clutch having difficulty engaging...a real squack with a solid metal kinda sound. I had a tech with me on two different occasions; and different days. The first day it would only make the sound 3-5 different times in 40 miles; the second time once it started, was almost impossible to get it to quit. He felt it must be the hubs..there was kind of a kliking sound just before the squack. I wasn't convinced cause it would still do it with the hubs engaged. Anyways the switched the hubs over to Warns (less than half the cost). Yesterday, Sat. the wife and I took it for approx 50 miles and it did it again, but only 4 - 5 times. The brakes appear to be in great condition but I wondered if perhaps the pads dragging intermitently could cause this. The pins do have some wear (free play) on right rear and left front. I am at a loss as to where to look and the shop doesn't want a tech just driving around the county killing time, nor do I, ($) Like I said...it's difficult to describe but am hoping I may have struck a chord with someone else that's experienced the same thing.

Be well!

BamaSixGun

SDD Super Mod/Staff
Reaction score
could be, I'm not sure it is not the calipers sliding on those pins...how much free play are in them, and does the noise stop if little pressure is put on the brakes?

when mine were bad, the right front would clank bad when i would hit a dip in the road.

jack up the front end, and take a pry bar and try to see if you can feel any play laterally. ( i think thats right )

Nasty

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ball joints

are good Bama. I could never let ball joints get that bad they'd ever be making a noise. It (the sound) is coming from a moving part; that's why I was wondering if loose caliper pins would be suspect. I'm on the original brakes on the back (482,000 and change) and the front rotors and pads were changes at 200,000. Did I need to mention this is on my 04...This is a quieter truck to operate than my 06....have been thinking of trying some of the sound deadening tricks some of you gents have done to your rigs.

Be well!

lvtitan

prototype
Reaction score
when mine were bad, the right front would clank bad when i would hit a dip in the road.

jack up the front end, and take a pry bar and try to see if you can feel any play laterally. ( i think thats right )

wonder if i have ball joint problems , i always feel a clunk when i hit bumps in the front end. i've jacked it up and tried to wiggle the wheels because at first i thought it was wheel bearings.

how do i check to see if the ball joints are bad.. i mean what EXACTLY do i do ?

RoyBoy

Diesel Dork
Reaction score
wonder if i have ball joint problems , i always feel a clunk when i hit bumps in the front end. i've jacked it up and tried to wiggle the wheels because at first i thought it was wheel bearings.

how do i check to see if the ball joints are bad.. i mean what EXACTLY do i do ?

Just jack up the front, pull in and out on the top of the wheel.Have somone watch the ball joints if needed, you'll see the movement (feel it too). :D

atk

Reaction score

if you have a clunk, it could be also the front sway bar bushing....mine had a noise and it was the bushings....hope this helps....

lvtitan

prototype
Reaction score
if you have a clunk, it could be also the front sway bar bushing....mine had a noise and it was the bushings....hope this helps....

okay thanks i will check both of those things thanks guys.

bigbrother44

PSD or bust!
Reaction score
A whole different direction here on a whole different vehicle if you've had your A/C serviced recently...

I had an 02 Suburban that blew an A/C compressor. Got it fixed and it soon starting making floorboard vibrating grating, rattling, clunking noises. Kept on "intermittently" for the next 15-20k miles before the second A/C compressor blew. Got it replaced and the noise continued. I finally blew it and had it out with the dealer. The finally evacuated the whole A/C system and refilled it. Apparently they had put too much lubricant in the system, causing the compressor to not be able to pump properly cause the lubircant is too thick.

Just a thought...

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Colvinecoboost14