A quick dumb tymar type filter question.

jlayne

Paint Sniffer
Reaction score
Ok, here is is.

Those of you with a tymar type air filter what did you do with the air temp sensor in the air box? Everybody says ziptie it somewhere like on the brake booster or fender but i'm conserned with that causing problems. I'm assuming it is supposed to stay dry and somewhat clean or it wouldn't be in the airbox. Maybe I'm being way to anal :confused:

Thanks fellas

jlayne

Paint Sniffer
Reaction score
thats what everybody is telling me (i never said i didn't have a thick skull) so grime or it getting damp isn't going to hurt it? thanks

Ford_Forgotton

Full Access Member
Reaction score
mine hangs down thru the hole in the inner fender well and rests against the shock.

The air intake temp sensor is purely for the "Cold AIr Package" that ramps the idle up if outside air temps are too low. This is coupled with the Air Intake Heater that most ppl have been removing, so no, your not going to have any problems.

jlayne

Paint Sniffer
Reaction score
ok i guess yall have eased my mind... gonna go shopping now

one last question though.. up in Tn it gets pretty cold a few days in the winter and i haven't removed the intake heaters, not going to cause a problem is it? I just want a more open intake and retain the cold stuff... never know where I might travel

BIG JOE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
jlayne said:
ok i guess yall have eased my mind... gonna go shopping now

one last question though.. up in Tn it gets pretty cold a few days in the winter and i haven't removed the intake heaters, not going to cause a problem is it? I just want a more open intake and retain the cold stuff... never know where I might travel

FWIW ? I'v been in -25* weather, with my AIH deleted and the Temp sensor tied off to the Brake Booster (pre AIS) and Never had any problems. When it's THAT cold... I just cycle the GPs twice.

jlayne

Paint Sniffer
Reaction score
cool thanks guys

-25* yep i'd say that definately qualifies as cold LOL if she starts there i'm sure i won't have problems

Ford_Forgotton

Full Access Member
Reaction score
BIG JOE said:
FWIW ? I'v been in -25* weather, with my AIH deleted and the Temp sensor tied off to the Brake Booster (pre AIS) and Never had any problems. When it's THAT cold... I just cycle the GPs twice.

The Cold AIr Package does not kick in until some conditions are met. The CAP operates independantly of the glowplug circuit.

Conditions are, the parking brake must be set, truck in park (or N on stick), and the air intake temp sensor must sense the cold air. I think there might be some engine oil temp stuff too. But regardless, once all those conditions are met, THEN the AIH kicks in, the EBPV closes, and the engine ramps up to 1200 rpm. Even THEN, thats not always enough to keep EGT's above 300.

But by the time the Air Intake Heater kicks in, the glowplugs have been off for a few minutes.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodrow58