A second (and THIRD!) time for everything

Hoss 350

My GSP, Dutch
Reaction score
I am now in the depths of an epic struggle trying to figure out which clutch to buy. LUK has the "Ceramtallic" which says it is not good for hauling big loads, (like a racing clutch to me), the "4-puck ceramic" which is what they say they put in the big international rigs, it is a spicer-style clutch, which does not require changing out the flywheel. THis is the one I am leaning towards, because it says it can haul big loads, and you can use the factory flywheel. THere is also the "gold series" and the "upgraded".

I am assuming that my truck does not have a dual mass because I have been told that the 99-up rigs don't have 'em. So, I don't wnat ot replace the flywheel, just get it resurfaced.

What clutch do I get??? Will the 4-puck spicer hold up for a long time? Or do they burn out fast? Any help would be appreciated, I am not a real clutch expert, here...

Hoss 350

My GSP, Dutch
Reaction score
Hoss 350 said:
I am now in the depths of an epic struggle trying to figure out which clutch to buy. LUK has the "Ceramtallic" which says it is not good for hauling big loads, (like a racing clutch to me), the "4-puck ceramic" which is what they say they put in the big international rigs, it is a spicer-style clutch, which does not require changing out the flywheel. THis is the one I am leaning towards, because it says it can haul big loads, and you can use the factory flywheel. THere is also the "gold series" and the "upgraded".

I am assuming that my truck does not have a dual mass because I have been told that the 99-up rigs don't have 'em. So, I don't wnat ot replace the flywheel, just get it resurfaced.

What clutch do I get??? Will the 4-puck spicer hold up for a long time? Or do they burn out fast? Any help would be appreciated, I am not a real clutch expert, here...

Well, called up Black Cloud diesel and gabbed for a while. Found out hte 4-puck clutches are not real smooth, sort of grabby (either ON or OFF). He talked me into a Southbend CON O clutch. It was about $100 more than the LUK that I was looking at, but it had a WAY higher HP rating, which I would assume directly translates into hauling and towing capability. I will keep in touch with how things go, it will be in next Friday, so my truck is DOWN until then :doh: :nutkick:

95_stroker

Jefe
Reaction score
Ahhh, I almost tossed the Southbend name out there for you but me being a slush box owner, I really have no business speaking in this arena not like its stopped me before :roflmao

roosterdiesel

Earl needs B100
Reaction score
I really like my SB clutch! Garrett recommended the OFE for me. But I race my truck quite a bit and that's why we went with the OFE. Grossing 19k when towing, I had no problems with smoothness or driveability, even backing up to the loading shoot. :sweet

I had the GM dealer we bought the truck from install it under an extended warranty when the throwout bearing went out. The tech didn't want to do it with out the dowel pins in the flywheel like the stocker, said he's seen the pressure plate walk. Called Garrett and he didn't know and referred me to SBC. They asked if I got the whole kit and instructed me to use the shouldered bolts that came with, guaranteed no problems. It's taken a beating and still works great, now the synchros that's a different story! :roflmao

I think you'll really like the South Bend!

Frankenstien

Frankestien
Reaction score
Too bad I've been goen for a few days... Had the Same problem a couple of months ago... turned out not to be the $175$ hydraulic unit or the preasure plate... sounds as if youv'e broke your clutch fork, I think its around 16 bucks for the replacement, + youll need a new fulcom, around 3 or 4 bucks. My original thoughts were that I had pushed my Throughout bearing through the preasure plate... not the case... and yup you'll have to drop the Tranny...

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Colvinecoboost14