comment A SOAP (As The Oil Flows ?)

BIG JOE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have always done my own oil changes.. from the git-go.. on every car or truck I've owned.

But, just this one time, on my new 6.7 I had a "FreeBee" first oil change coming, and a 3K mile Road Trip starting next week.. so I took it in to my Dealer this AM to git'r done.

Here's how it went

PART/SCENE ONE.

Told the Service Writer, because I Tow a lot, I needed/wanted 5W-40 (CJ-4) to be used. No Problem.. The "Lube Tech" was right there when I said that. 45 minutes later, I get the keys back.

The Next Service sticker on the windshield sez Dec xx, ***xx miles, use 10W-30 !! WRONG.

I questioned the Service Writer, he questions the Lube Tech.. yep.. WRONG oil.

While I was talking with the Service Writer I said at the next OCI i was going to change to Rotella T6 5w-40 Full Synthtec.. He sez.. Lets do it now, at No Charge to You.

He sends the Lube Tech to Auto Zone. Comes back with 4, 1 gallon jugs (16 qts. follow me now) of Rotella T6.

(the Service Writer and the Lube Tech now have a private talk) (he was walking funny afterwards)

Part/Scene Two.

Truck goes back in the shop to drain the 10W-30 and change to the T6.. and another new filter.

( I'm having scary thoughts now)

45 minutes later I get the keys back. I pull the dip stick (cable).

YEP.. the oil level is ABOVE the full mark, and up on the cable.

YEP.. he had put all 4 jugs..16 quarts.. in a 13 quart w/filter, $X000.00 engine !!

Part/Scene Three

I'm PIZZED :rant:rant

Didn't and wouldn't start the truck.

They had a Diesel Tech drain three quarts out.. in the parking lot, then take it back in the shop and run a complete Scan for any codes.. and had them call FOMOCO to see if any damage could have occured from the Over Fill. FOMOCO said No.. if the vehicle hadn't been driven at speed. It hadn't.

Had this WHOLE gaggle entered into the FOMOCO maintenance record of my truck, by VIN, Date, Time, Miles and Engine hours. Had them give me copies of what Was, and Is Entered TOO.

Sorry for the Long Post guyz & galz.. maybe an isolated incident but worth passing along ?

Joe

P.S. I'm back to changing my own oil.

DaveBen

SDD Senior Member
Reaction score
I can see me doing what you were doing. I would have been pissed off. I would have waited it all the way thru, but not a happy camper :(.

Dave

f100cleveland

When In Doubt,THROTTLE ON
Reaction score
I saw flashbacks of the dealership where I bought my truck. Don't even go close to that place anymore. Found a dealership that is farther from home but is trustworthy. There not all like that( I hope).

WD40

Full Access Member
Reaction score
LOL, I have heard this same story before, or was it my truck. Yes it was my first free oil change. Almost word for word.
Mine holds 15 with filter and he put 16 in on the first one, I had them to drain it out.
Doug

BIG JOE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ya.. this ain't the first time we've visited this kinda stuff.

What scares me is.. How many Trucks & Cars have these "Lubrication Techs" done this to.. that caused damage. BIG BUCK payouts (?) for the Mechanicaly disadvantaged I'd betcha ?

Dogman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just shows the lube person does not know what there doing or care what there doing.

RoyBoy

Diesel Dork
Reaction score
Free oil changes are worth what you pay for them.
If you want it done right, do it yourself! :sweet
Only thing my truck has been back to the dealer for was a reflash and replacement of a bad door threshold cover.

BIG JOE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
In Corning Ca., on our way to Oregon

Free oil changes are worth what you pay for them.
If you want it done right, do it yourself! :sweet
Only thing my truck has been back to the dealer for was a reflash and replacement of a bad door threshold cover.

Yep, yer Right On. THAT won't happen again.. fer shur.

02SilverStroke

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yep, some of those techs have "blonde" mentalities. In the early 70's (72-74) I was the office manager for a very small Ford dealership in North Louisiana. We had a total of around 20 employees including the dealer Back then, Ford was making the "original" Bronco. The dealer's brother in law (who also had several businesses in town) had ordered a new Bronco (we didn't stock them because we never had any one in the area that wanted one). When the Bronco came in, the mechanics were making it ready for delivery, including installing the radio antenna (back then, they didn't have the bases pre-installed). The mechanic drilled a hole in the right front fender to mount the antenna, and it wouldn't fit, so he got out the instructions and found that the antenna was supposed to be on the LEFT side. They got it right (and I'm sure they had to make the incorrect hole look like it was never there) but it was a really stupid mistake, especially considering the future owner of the Bronco. I heard another story about a Ford in the late 50's that had a consistent rattle in one of the rear fenders. The dealership tried everything possible to locate and fix the rattle. Finally they took the entire trunk apart and found a Coke bottle with a note inside that said "You finally found me". This was, of course, done at the factory.

Dogman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I heard another story about a Ford in the late 50's that had a consistent rattle in one of the rear fenders. The dealership tried everything possible to locate and fix the rattle. Finally they took the entire trunk apart and found a Coke bottle with a note inside that said "You finally found me". This was, of course, done at the factory.

I have found tools in new cars and trucks before from the factory. Most of the time it's a socket or a screwdriver. I did find a wallet one time from new car inspector at the factory. The guy was happy to get it back. It had been missing for 8 months.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jarrburg