?? About Setting up a Forum Like This

Ripsaw

Resident Cheesehead
Reaction score
Just wondering what is all involved in setting up a forum like this assuming all I have is one computer right now?

I've been tossing the idea around of setting one up for something completely different, so no need to worry about stealing anything away from you guys. Not even truck or diesel related.

Same kind of deal though. I don't agree with the way one site is run and want to give it some competition. They have extremely outdated forum software and also the owners polictical views get in the way. The site has nothing to do with politics but if you're found to have a different political view than he or his wife you will be banned. It only took two days and 8 posts for me to be banned. They can't take constructive criticism at all.

Anyway if you all could give some insight on what it takes to set up a great forum like you have here that would be great. What kind of costs should I expect? What kind of equipment would I need etc...?

Last edited:

Ripsaw

Resident Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yeah I've gone there and looked around a little there already but figured I'd ask anyway.

Crumm

Fordoholic
Reaction score
I am also curious about this. Just what kind of equipment is needed. Where is all the information stored? You have a computer that is online 24/7? Just wondering......

DaveBen

SDD Senior Member
Reaction score
They lease/rent/buy a server to hold all of this. And they are usually located at a Server Farm where they are maintained. You can build your own.

Dave

Crumm

Fordoholic
Reaction score
Build my own server........yeah right. I don't even know what one is let alone know how to build or maintain one. I am lucky to figure out how to turn on my puter. I know a particular topic that there is only one forum on the net for and that one is junk. Is there any money in this deal where someone would be interested in making a new site or do these guys just do it because they like too? I suppose it would depend on the sponsors and the operating costs? MaxPower or Stroker are you in the business?

W4RLR

High Tech Hillbilly
Reaction score
Ripsaw said:
Same kind of deal though. I don't agree with the way one site is run and want to give it some competition. They have extremely outdated forum software and also the owners polictical views get in the way. The site has nothing to do with politics but if you're found to have a different political view than he or his wife you will be banned. It only took two days and 8 posts for me to be banned. They can't take constructive criticism at all.

I KNOW he's not talking about, you know, THE site we love to hate, but doesn't it sound so familiar? :roflmao :roflmao

ranger boy

Banned User
Reaction score
rray32539 said:
I KNOW he's not talking about, you know, THE site we love to hate, but doesn't it sound so familiar? :roflmao :roflmao
LoL kinda sounds like it

Ripsaw

Resident Cheesehead
Reaction score
rray32539 said:

Sure does.

It was a website that my wife went to often that has a bunch of moms on there. Basically get on and talk about there kids, cooking, money savers, blah, blah, blah. Well they also encouraged dads to sign up in the fun too. So I figured I join in and be one of the few dads who were on there since I watch my daughter 4 days a week anyway while the wife works.

They had a forum called "Sound Off" where there was some political threads and such in there. Well, I decided to start a poll and the owners didn't like how it was titled. I didn't label it anything bad or anything. I just slipped in one of my political views in it. The Gov. here has vetoed everything has has come across his desk. So I called him Mr. Veto in the poll. That harmless dig really ticked them off and they banned me. They had no reasonable explaination for any of their actions. They would just ban people.

The worse part is they banned my wife also in the process. After repeated attempts to get her back on they still won't let her. So here we are. Time for some competition. I feel horrible since that was the only forum my wife went to. Although she didn't post much in fear of being ragged on by the fat balloonhead owners.

So yeah, it has some of the same reasons behind it.

Ripsaw

Resident Cheesehead
Reaction score
Crumm said:
Build my own server........yeah right. I don't even know what one is let alone know how to build or maintain one. I am lucky to figure out how to turn on my puter. I know a particular topic that there is only one forum on the net for and that one is junk. Is there any money in this deal where someone would be interested in making a new site or do these guys just do it because they like too? I suppose it would depend on the sponsors and the operating costs? MaxPower or Stroker are you in the business?

You sound about right where I am with the knowlegde of how these work.

From what I've gathered so far is you need a domain, then a host server with 500MB of storage and then the software for the forums. There are plenty of places on the net that will host it for $$. I've seen anywhere from $5 a month and up depending on how much space you want. I'm not sure if having your own server is worth it or not. That's all I've figured out so far. I have no clue how hard it is to set up the forum once you have those things in place.

The Vbulletin link is where I've picked all this up from so far.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Colvinecoboost14