? about TX smog laws

bartman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I was getting on to WB 635 from Midway today (for those not familiar its a relatively short uphill on ramp) and I noticed one of TXDOT's smog sensing vans set up on the onramp. I let out of the throttle since I was smoking a bit trying to gain speed. But then I began to wonder...my truck is exempt from emissions testing, but is it exempt from the "visible emissions" law? Can I fog the sensor without fear of a picture of my bumper on a ticket in my mailbox? Any input would be much appreciated.

Thanks
Bart

powerboatr

living well in Texas
Reaction score
bartman said:
I was getting on to WB 635 from Midway today (for those not familiar its a relatively short uphill on ramp) and I noticed one of TXDOT's smog sensing vans set up on the onramp. I let out of the throttle since I was smoking a bit trying to gain speed. But then I began to wonder...my truck is exempt from emissions testing, but is it exempt from the "visible emissions" law? Can I fog the sensor without fear of a picture of my bumper on a ticket in my mailbox? Any input would be much appreciated.

Thanks
Bart
WHAT :eek: :eek: -popcorn -popcorn
smog van, thats cheating
remove your tag then fog em

CHPMustang

Reaction score
I passed one of the mobile smog checks out on the west side of Fort Worth a month ago and as far as I know it'll run the numbers on Gasoline powered vehicles exhaust.

There's special equipment required to measure particulates from Diesel exhausts and since there's no smog checks for Diesels here in Texas I wouldn't worry about it.

powerboatr

living well in Texas
Reaction score
how can that be accurate if its sampling all the air around the ramp , does it snake up to your pipe as you drive by???
or is it sampling the total air to get air quality indexes??

CHPMustang

Reaction score
It's just a laser beam setup that's at a fixed position which is probably the average height for gasoline powered vehicles so it's pretty accurate with a certain degree of error which I don't know what is.

It's actually cool in a way that when the vehicle with too much of this or that coming from the exhaust the computer activates a camera to get a shot of the rear license plate which the registered owner will receive a mandatory emission test notice in the mail.

California has utilized this type of passive testing for at least 9-10 years in the Sacramento area and it seems to be catching on in other states.

Tbar

SDD STAFF/Moderator
Reaction score
I passed one two weeks ago on an on ramp...............eased off the throttle as I passed by.

Tbar

whatabudro

Launched
Reaction score
When I finally pass by one of those again.......

I will make enough smoke that my plate can't be seen.-popcorn

bartman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
whatabudro said:
When I finally pass by one of those again.......

I will make enough smoke that my plate can't be seen.-popcorn

I'm not at that level yet, but I'll give it a try :(

bartman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Tbar said:
I passed one two weeks ago on an on ramp...............eased off the throttle as I passed by.

Tbar

This is probably the safest move to make.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Colvinecoboost14