ABS light and no tc lockup

96EDGEpsd

Welding/Fabrication
Reaction score
all of a sudden a few weeks ago my abs light came on, and the tc wont lock at all, i checked the brake fluid level and it was fine, i just did a brake job on it, new everything all the way around... is there a sensor somwhere? :dunno

JOAT

I Found Nemo!
Reaction score
I've heard of that before but don't remember the exact cause. The obvious is check all the fuses and make sure none of the signal bulbs have broken shorted filiments, including the 3rd brake light.

The RABS control module is near the glove box IIRC, so you could check connections to that. There is a way to get the RABS codes too, but I don't have a manual handy...

EDIT not sure if this will help but this has RABS code reading for aerostars, sounds similar to what I did for mine years ago...
http://www.autozone.com/az/cds/en_us/0900823d/80/14/c7/ab/0900823d8014c7ab/repairInfoPages.htm
the diagnostics wire will be at the module behind the glovebox, that much I remember... I think:D

Last edited:

BIG JOE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It could be the VSS (Vehicle Speed Sensor). It's located on the top-front of the Rear-end. + or - 25.00 to replace.

It picks up magnetic signals from the Ring Gear Revs. Those signals control allot of things like.. Cruise Control, ABS and Transmission commands.

Hope this helps.

Joe

96EDGEpsd

Welding/Fabrication
Reaction score
its 4x4, its been a while since the problem started, but im pretty sure it started after i did the brakes...im thinking its that speed sensor just a hunch...my evolution doesnt pick up any codes

DslTex

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
check the sending unit on top of the master cylinder, it will fool the sysstem in to thinking you have applied the brakes, hence no convertor lock-up, don't know about the abs light.

96EDGEpsd

Welding/Fabrication
Reaction score
ill check that, i replaced the sensor on the rear diff and the light still comes on at 15mph...now its starting to be a pain....

96EDGEpsd

Welding/Fabrication
Reaction score
UPDATE!!!! i found out that if i wiggle my blinker lever, the abs light shuts off but tc still doesnt lock???? lol

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodrow58