ABS/Master cylinder symptoms

MBRPCrazyford

Eat Some Smoke
Reaction score
OK, what are the symptoms of an ABS controller/valve or a master cylinder going bad? Vehicle is a 2001 V10 Ex BTW. Any help is great! Thanks:)

DaveBen

SDD Senior Member
Reaction score
Are there any codes in the Computer? These trucks should have a fault code showing for the ABS.

Dave

patrickc

Full Access Member
Reaction score
^^^I agree. A faulty ABS system should throw a code, possibly a brake light, and/or check engine light.

Last edited:

patrickc

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've had an abs unit go bad which left me without any brakes for a couple of seconds, then a full 4 wheel lock up, then no brakes again. Scary feeling. I have also had several master cylinders go bad also, mostly on older stuff without abs though. When they went bad I either had a really low spongy pedal, or no pedal at all. (very little to no pedal without pumping the pedal fast)

Last edited:

MBRPCrazyford

Eat Some Smoke
Reaction score
I don't think there is an ABS light. I think like patrick said, it's got no brakes, then 4 wheel lock-up, then no brakes. I say it's abs. Sound right?

BIG JOE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just FWIW guyz ? Maybe replace the $25.00 VSS on the Punk'n First ?

That little Bugger provides alot of operational data to alot of systems. Just one of them being... The ABS.

BIG JOE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'll mebtion it but wouldn't that also cause bad speedo reading/messed up tranny shift?

Not Necessarily, Bum data to one system is not bum data to others ?.

Unless you have the Tech equipment to desipher the inputs.. you might be just assuming things ?

R & R'n the VSS is just a good 25 dollar place to start the trouble shoot. JMO ?

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jarrburg