ABS on Excursion

Kelly Hancock

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Ok. My wife when she drives the X says that at times when she hits the brakes she slides. Wasnt sure what she was talking about. I had just put on new rotors and pad and the thing stops great IMO. As I thought more about it should the ABS kick in if the truck slides? When I hit the brakes I leave a skid mark. I have a 2000 X PSD. I like how it stops but does it sound like the ABS is working?

Crumm

Fordoholic
Reaction score
We had a 2000X and it would not slide, even on ice. It sounds like your ABS may be malfunctioning.

NASCAR Mike

Full Access Member
Reaction score
When you are letting your glow plugs warm up the ABS light should turn on for about 5 seconds. This is when the computer tests the ABS system.

If the light goes out the ABS system is fine.

If the ABS light never turns on or it stays on after you start the truck, then you have a problem.

When you changed your brakes, did you let air get into the brake lines? If so you may have let air into the ABS pump and it will still work except it is now pulsing air to your brakes instead of brake fluid.

I had this happen on my Crown Vic and the dealer had to bleed my brakes. The dealer was able to cycle the ABS pump via computer and get the air out. The ABS light never came on but I was able to lock up my rear tires.

Kelly Hancock

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the responses. I will watch the light but it does not stay on. A few months back I changed out the brake fluid with the blue stuff(cant remember the name) I did it by sucking out the resevoir and then adding fluid and bleeding all four out. But this issue that my wife has experinced was happening all along. I dont think I have a problem, but snow will soon fly and when the roads are slick I will give it a go and see the response. Does anyone know of another way to physically test it now before the roads are slick?

NASCAR Mike

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This may sound like a dumb question but, does your truck have ABS? I know it was an option on some Ford vehicles for a while.

Have you checked the ABS fuse? If that is blown, well you know, no power to ABS unit.

You can check your ABS in two other ways besides snow.

1) Dealer can plug in computer and run diagnostic.

2) Drive on grass, sand or loose gravel and hit the brakes hard. If the wheels lock then no ABS.

CHPMustang

Reaction score
Kelly we've had mixed results with various tires on our Excursion but if I wanted to I get the tires to lock up or not,all depends on how much foot it gets.

The old Firestones we're easy to skid but our latest the Michelin LTX tires grips very well on dry and wet roads(Excellent):sweet

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Colvinecoboost14