AC and cold rush

Ironmerganser

Ironmerganser
Reaction score
Ok..so I am not trying to diss our sponsor, but I really don't want to drop $100 to stop coolant from going to the heater core in the summer. Is there a "shade tree mechanic" version of this mod? Can I just install a regular ball valve in the coolant line and close it in the summer and open it in the winter?

If not....I may have to buy this.....its hot here in Nebraska!!!

BIG JOE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok..so I am not trying to diss our sponsor, but I really don't want to drop $100 to stop coolant from going to the heater core in the summer. Is there a "shade tree mechanic" version of this mod? Can I just install a regular ball valve in the coolant line and close it in the summer and open it in the winter?

If not....I may have to buy this.....its hot here in Nebraska!!!

Yes you can, just install a ball-valve. Works just as well.. just not as "Handy".

Joe

On Edit ? There >Can Be< some issues about the coolant being static, in the heater core, for long periods.. useing a simple shut-off valve. Gumming, scale build-up and the like. If you go that way.. you may wana open it now & then ??

Last edited:

powerboatr

living well in Texas
Reaction score
or buy a vacumm operated valve that fits a ranger/explorer and my 06 had the valve already...that is a good source as well, i think it was less than 15 dollars from the 2000 era
i did that to my 02
then tapped the vacuum source off the recirculation door under the dash

search the web. there is a ton of diy on the topic

Ironmerganser

Ironmerganser
Reaction score
I have that valve stock, but I haven't traced the vacuum line to see what is powering it now.

So the cold rush up grade that deiselsite sells connects to that valve......what does it do that the stock setup does do already?

I'm easily confused........:dizzy

BIG JOE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have that valve stock, but I haven't traced the vacuum line to see what is powering it now.

So the cold rush up grade that deiselsite sells connects to that valve......what does it do that the stock setup does do already?

I'm easily confused........:dizzy

If you already have that valve, Stock ? The A/C you have now.. is as good as it gets. You wouldn't gain anything ?

The add on "cold rush" valve just does, what your stock valve does.... blocks off the flow off heated coolant.. to, and through the Heater Core... on trucks (older) that don't have the valve. (Like mine)

Joe

Maybe you need to check your Refrigerant charge ?

Last edited:

Ironmerganser

Ironmerganser
Reaction score
Ok..that is what I thought. I am good. I just saw that cold rush thing and wondered if it did something different. Thanks!!!

Zmann ARGH

Full Access Member
Reaction score
it only works on max a/c and you can verify that it actuates by having someone cycle the max or recirc (depending on control style) and watch to see if the arm moves

powerboatr

living well in Texas
Reaction score
if your a/c is not as cold as you think.
do a good cleaning of the condenser outside then do inside the plenum in the cab
the air box around the fan gets very dirty and restrictive to flow of air. it will scare you how dirty it gets.

then have a tech put gauges on it and bring the pressures to spec.

my 06 would run you out, we could hang chickens in the cab in short order:D

Zmann ARGH

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just had a compressor put in my 06 and it is def not the same as my 05 gmc 2500 ,, that thing was awesome

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodrow58