Help Needed AC compressor help (Not a superduty)

keanoknick

Big Stroker
Reaction score
On my 2001 Ford Taurus, the clutch on the AC compressor has gone out, and possibly the bearings. I've been told that I can just put a new clutch or clutch assembly on it, without having to evacuate the system. (which I have no idea how to do, and I really don't want to pay to have it done right now)

Also there is a metal plate on the ac compressor that does not spin when the engine is running, it appears to be loose, and it just barely touches/vibrates against the pulley, causing a horrible sounding noise, but the volume of the noise changes, sometimes it's real loud, other times I hardly hear it. Does anyone know what this "plate" is?

Does anyone know how to change out the clutch assembly? Or do you have a copy of or access to the Ford Shop Manuals, that would give me directions on how to do it? I really appreciate any help or advice you can give me on this.

Thanks

atk

Reaction score
what kind of shape is the rest of the compressor in? depending on the engine you have, you might have to remove the whole compressor to change the clutch assembly, which will require you to evacuate the freon. there is special tools to R/R clutch assembly....hope this helps

kenholl

Its my side of the garage
Reaction score
Keano, most of the time the clutch fails because the compressor is starting to go out. Since this is a 2001, chances are fairly good that it is up around 100k mi., if not closer to 150k. That being the case, I would bite the bullet, put a new compressor on it, evacuate, then recharge the line.

IMO, Asuming that the compressor is otherwise fine (which seems undetermined), I wouldn't waste $ or time on trying to replace the clutch, as you will probably end up replacing the compressor anyway, soon if not immediately. My :2c

keanoknick

Big Stroker
Reaction score
the car has under 80k miles on it, and the compressor seems to be in good shape, the AC blows ice cold. I can get a clutch for under $70, a new compressor and drier, and system evac/ charge will run close to $400, which quite frankly I'm not prepared to put into this car right now. It's getting to be cooler and I can do without AC if need be till next summer, but I'm afraid of something coming apart, and throwing the belt with me stranded on the side of the road.

DaveBen

SDD Senior Member
Reaction score
You will be needing the AC. It runs in almost all settings of the temp control, except vent. It runs in the heat position and the defrost position. Get the clutch. The compressor won't die that quickly. You have enough miles to make sure your compressor is operational.

Dave

BIG JOE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You will be needing the AC. It runs in almost all settings of the temp control, except vent. It runs in the heat position and the defrost position. Get the clutch. The compressor won't die that quickly. You have enough miles to make sure your compressor is operational.

Dave

X2 !!

Get a new clutch first. The New clutch will go on a New compressor.. IF you find that the compressor, is in fact, shot... or goes bad on ya.

Joe

On edit.. a hint ? Follow the electrical connector on yer A/C clutch back to the pressure switch connector. Take that connector apart and clean the pin plugs up... You MAY find.... you don't really have as big a problem as you think.... just a bad/dirty connection that gives intermittent or low voltage to the clutch, that will sometimes cause the clutch to "Chatter".

Last edited:

BJS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
clutch on an a/c compressor is relatively easy just takes time and easy access is greatly beneficial. If ford stuck the compressor on top then you should be ok if it's on the bottom or someplace odd you may not have enough hose flex to manipulate the compressor adequately

When compressors fail it is usually because of lack of oil and they seize but since you still have ice cold a/c that's not the problem. The solid plate that does not spin is attached to the shaft of the compressor and should spin when the clutch for the compressor is engaged (ford uses some with 3 lobes on there as well) If this is loose then you have clutch problems.

you'll need some special tools that you can "borrow" from autozone to pull and reattach the pulley. I'll see what kind of directions I can give you from the FSM for my truck or the ranger/explorer sets I have at home. Ford only used a couple compressors over the years so the directions are pretty universal.

Zookie400

I WANNA GO FAST
Reaction score
bjs said it perfectly.

one note i would like to add is that you need to make certain that:
-the compressor is spinning still
-the new clutch is pressed completely on, too much clearance between the clutch plate and pulley and it will slip and grind when you try to turn on the ac.

also when you get the old clutch off, BEFORE THE NEW ON GOES ON!!!.....with soapy water soak around the shaft and seal to be sure the excessive heat from the wasted clutch didnt cook the seal and cause it to leak. its a common oversight with some of my co-workers, they get the truck together, ac blows cold, truck comes in a week later with low charge. with the new clutch covering the seal its a PITA to find the leak.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodrow58