ac compressor shim

JRJ04

Reaction score
I think my ac is messed up. How cam you shim the compressor and how can you tell if that's the problem?

Tbar

SDD STAFF/Moderator
Reaction score
If the clutch isn't engaging and assuming you freon quantity/pressure is ok.......

With the engine idling and a/c on tap the front of the clutch with a screw driver handle. If it engages the clutch may be worn.

You won't be adding a shim.....you will be removing one.

Tbar

JLDickmon

ursus combibo
Reaction score
on the shaft, just behind the hub.. buzz the nut off, pull the drive plate, fish out a shim, set the drive plate back on and buzz the nut back down.

JRJ04

Reaction score
Alrighty. That was a piece of cake. There was actually a washer inside the housing and I took it out.

Here's what I'm noticing...there is still some strange groaning/humming noise at idle(I can't even begin to tell you how irate I'll be if it's a turbo). My blower doesn't seem to blow as hard as it used to, and the a/c might not be as cold as I think.

Your thoughts?

Bushwakd

Reaction score
Inspect the wires at the plug connection coming from the upper pressure line going to the compressor. Wiggle the wires and see if it cuts out. Mine was moaning and groaning and would cut out and stay out unless I wiggled the wire at the pressure switch. Replaced the connector plug and the moaning and groaning stopped and it blows good and cold now.

BIG JOE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Inspect the wires at the plug connection coming from the upper pressure line going to the compressor. Wiggle the wires and see if it cuts out. Mine was moaning and groaning and would cut out and stay out unless I wiggled the wire at the pressure switch. Replaced the connector plug and the moaning and groaning stopped and it blows good and cold now.

X2 on that pressure switch connector ;tu

I shimmed the female side of the connector, for a tighter connection.. that was 5+ years ago.. No Problems since.:dunno

JRJ04

Reaction score
Started getting sluggish turning over last night and today.
.went to orileys to have things checked out...alternator was bad! Swapped it out...blower is back to normal and a/c seems better.

Since I was there, they had an a/c pressure gauge they let me borrow to check the Freon level...it read about 45 to 50 psi. That seem right?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodrow58