AC Compressor Troubleshooting

bbressler

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Need some help here..looked around but not sure what to do now.

Two years ago, I had to replace and electrical connector on the AC compressor, it was shorting out and would work after you wiggled it. Replaced it, everything good. Fast forward until a few months ago...same symptoms, pulled out the plug, it was burned and not making good connection. Replaced that yesterday, and the compressor clutch engaged, and the thing started smoking -- clutch burning. Now, I can't get the compressor to engage. I can turn the thing with a wrench on the outer 8mm bolt. Checked voltage to both connectors on the compressor, they are good....

Right now, I'm thinking that either the compressor is toast, or the plug that was burnt previously has damaged pins on it now and won't make connection... any other ideas?

RoyBoy

Diesel Dork
Reaction score
Sounds like the compressor clutch coil is shorted to ground. Check the resistance across the 2 terminals.

Patrick Feeley

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If the clutch is engaging, but smoking ... I'll place my money on the compressor being toast. Mine was anyway (I could only partially turn it with a wrench on the bolt). Cheers!

bbressler

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It engaged just that once, smoked, and won't engage any longer....

Roy, which terminals, the ones on the front or back?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodrow58