AC issue

kingkevindavid

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Quick question for you AC gurus out there. My brothers 2000 F-250 SD 5.4 gasser's AC has been acting up. All kinds of grinding noise and such. it doesn't matter if the AC is on or not (clutch engaged or not). Anyone had any luck just changing the clutch? Its a lot cheaper than a whole new compressor.

BIG JOE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If it's grinding/rattling engaged, or [Not engaged].. but still blowing cool air..I'd say it's the clutch.

Worth a shot, money wise.

Joe

JLDickmon

ursus combibo
Reaction score
if you pop the drive plate off, and there is a big snap ring holding down the rest of the clutch,
yes, you can change just the clutch.
Sounds like the bearing in the hub is done.

Smoky

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think the drive plate is held on by a small 8mm short bolt ($1.92 at the stealership). Be careful about prying anything. Take the bolt out normal threads and the drive plate should come off with a little tug. Changing the clutch only will keep you from having to purge the system and recharge the system after a new compressor. Much Cheaper replacing just the clutch.

bigrigr

Real trks hv 3 pdls
Reaction score
Won't the noise change when the a/c engages? Normaly the clutch bearing noise goes away when the compressor is turning? Sure it's not a idler?..........or something.........

JLDickmon

ursus combibo
Reaction score
Won't the noise change when the a/c engages? Normaly the clutch bearing noise goes away when the compressor is turning? Sure it's not a idler?..........or something.........

yeah, it'll get louder as the compressor clatters away..

bigrigr

Real trks hv 3 pdls
Reaction score
Sorry, i thought the bearing in the clutch stopped turning when the compressor was engaged? Unless it's about to fall off.......

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodrow58