Ac question

jpxj94

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Hey my a/c blows cold but it randomly starts blowing hot for a few minutes then starts blowing cold. it does this on a/c and max. I also can't hear the difference in sound of the air blowing when I flip the switch to max. Freon is at good pressure I just checked it last week. I don't know much about a/c units and any input is appreciated. early 99 f250 with 7.3

JamieContouris

Proud to be member #2007
Reaction score
Sounds like low freon? Are you sure you know the level is OK? Otherwise it may be the compressor going. The freon level in these trucks is higher than a normal charge. My A/C man put in the normal amount and when I compared the receipt to the sticker I showed him it requires more freon. Check your sticker and make sure it is full. You have the symptoms of low freon.

jpxj94

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
I evacuated and recharged to about 55-60 psi at about 85 degrees out side

MUDWHISTLE

Diesel Lover
Reaction score
You might check the wiring harness that goes to the compressor clutch they get a short broken wire in them and will move around and lose contact periodically and cause the clutch to disengage. turn the a/c on and open the hood, wiggle the wire around that goes to the clutch and see if it goes on and off when you are doing this. just a thought.

THEDIESELMAN

John Deere Tech
Reaction score
jpxj94 said:
I evacuated and recharged to about 55-60 psi at about 85 degrees out side

That is not enough freon. 55-60 psi is not enough for that hot of a day or a cold day either, so the reason it is clicking on and off is becasue it is to low and a senor is turning the system off.

jpxj94

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
So what pressure should I put it at? at about a 85-90 degree day?

THEDIESELMAN

John Deere Tech
Reaction score
jpxj94 said:
So what pressure should I put it at? at about a 85-90 degree day?

Here is a formula to find out what the highside PSI should be.
Highside= 2x Ambient Temp + 10% So a 90 degree day would be
90x90+10% so it is a 180+18= 198psi
The lowside psi should just always stay between 10-30psi. All of this info is with the engine running and the AC system on.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Colvinecoboost14