AC Shutting Off

motoxfreak

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
For about six months I have had this problem where my ac shuts down. Mostly at low speeds. I just recently figured out that if I accelerate quickly the AC will kick back on, at least for a minute. There is no rhyme or reason why or when it will shut down, but when it does the air coming out of the AC is hotter than the Texas heat. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

JLDickmon

ursus combibo
Reaction score
is the compressor disengaging or are the controls defaulting into defrost/full heat mode?

01platinum

Go VOLS
Reaction score
check the air gap on the compressor clutch. I'm not sure exactly what the specs are. (Guessing about .016 inch) If not that then possibly a bad compressor clutch

nc1500

MyFirstPS444
Reaction score
Mine just started doing this last week. As you stated, mine works fine when moving as well. My C-1500 does this from time to time. Check the freon level. If good check the accumulator sensor. Not sure on the Fords but located on the accumulator body on the Chevy (when mine goes bad it will either not kick on the compressor, or cause the compressor to jump on and off constantly, sounding like a thumping noise). If that checks good, check the cooling fan(s) next. R- 134 does not transfer heat as effectively at lower speeds and requires an auxiliary fan to move air accross the condensor. Another possiblility is the TXV may have ice build up on the evaporator side (which happens a lot in older home cooling systems) which requires nothing more than shutting the system down for a few minutes to allow ice melting. That may indicate moisture in the system.

If everything checks out to this point you have to look at a deeper cause. Start by having a reputible shop check all the connections, looking fior anything wrong. Check all the electronics, such as the in dash controls. Finally, and most expensive, is the compressor. It may very well be worn out.

motoxfreak

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
You all gave me some homework. I will have to get the truck to do it at idle to check most of these things. I will get back with the results. Thanks for the tips.

bbressler

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Also wiggle the pigtail connection on top of the compressor. Mine has a short in it and will periodically go out. I can wiggle the connection and the compressor will immediately kick in, and it usually stays running for a few days.

bdrummonds

Maximum Overdrive
Reaction score
check the air gap on the compressor clutch. I'm not sure exactly what the specs are. (Guessing about .016 inch) If not that then possibly a bad compressor clutch
Spec is .025 with a minmum of .020 . you can adjust this by removing the outer part of the clutch (single 8mm bolt in the center) and removing one of the shims inside the mounting tube. Make sure you dont go below .020 or the clutch may not disengage when it should, which could lead to burning up the compressor.

After you check your airgap and if it is in spec. go to local a/c repair facility and have them check both high and low side coolant numbers. I went through the whole clutch replacement only to find out my high side was 1# low, even though my little cheap low side guage (from autozoo)showed everything to be fine.

Last edited:

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodrow58