Accelerator Pedal or TPS Problem?

BurghFan

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Hi - I'm new to the forums. So hopefully I'm not resubmitting something that's been solved already. But here goes.

Just recently purchased a '96 F-450 with the 7.3 Power Stroke and a 5-speed manual. The accelerator pedal doesn't feel right to me - it seems to be "dead" for a longer distance than it should at the beginning of the pedal stroke.

I used to drive three different 99-00 7.3's at my old job, with both manual and automatic transmissions. Never had this issue. I also test-drove another truck identical to this one before I bought it (used fleet vehicles), and it felt fine to me. Any ideas what could be wrong with mine?

Thanks in advance for your time.

DaveBen

SDD Senior Member
Reaction score
That sounds like a bad accelerator pedal to me.
Anyone else have and thoughts on this? And Welcome to Super Duty Diesel BurghFan.

Dave :)

fordtrucker4life!

I work with waste
Reaction score
I would say bad pedal also. You should be able to hear a click coming from the sensor on the pedal. At least the 97 F-450 I am currently working on clicks.

BurghFan

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the info. Is there any way I can test voltages, resistances, etc. across the connectors to see if the pedal is responding properly before I try the mod?

action4478

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You need to put a voltmeter across the GY/W and the GY/R wires on the connector to the TPS. With the key on, watch the voltage across the range of the throttle to see if there is any flat spots. You should see no less than .37 volts at idle position and no more than 4.5 volts at full throttle. The the third wire, (BRN/W), is the ref. voltage and should be 5 volts all the time.

The mod just changes where the pedal begins to work,,,Starts sooner....

Crumm

Fordoholic
Reaction score
I am having trouble remembering where I read about it but I recall a mod where you just tweak the adjustment a little on the pedal to get rid of the "free play". Seems like it is just a matter of bending something a little. I will do some searching and see if I can't come up with the directions unless someone else can remember. I don't think the "Power Pedal" modification for the 1999-2001 trucks will work on ours.

action4478

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I thought JOAT had posted it , if he did I was unable to find it, or forgot where I saved it...It showed in the instuctions to bend the tab on the tps somehow

On edit...It may have been BAZ.

Here it is....

In some cases, the accelerator sensor doesn't respond as it should. You may notice it clicking or hesitating when you push on it. The accelerator on the Power Stroke is completely electronic, there is no throttle cable. This sensor can be adjusted for better throttle response. Go easy though, if you adjust it too far, you may have a problem with the engine resetting to idle. There is no adjustment on the switch. I had to bend the tab on the accelerator that depresses the switch until I was satisfied. WHAT A DIFFERENCE!!! It's nice to have throttle control.

Last edited:

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodrow58