Accelerator Pedal or TPS Problem?

Crumm

Fordoholic
Reaction score
In some cases, the accelerator sensor doesn't respond as it should. You may notice it clicking or hesitating when you push on it. The accelerator on the Power Stroke is completely electronic, there is no throttle cable. This sensor can be adjusted for better throttle response. Go easy though, if you adjust it too far, you may have a problem with the engine resetting to idle. There is no adjustment on the switch. I had to bend the tab on the accelerator that depresses the switch until I was satisfied. WHAT A DIFFERENCE!!! It's nice to have throttle control.

Thats it :sweet :sweet

BurghFan

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Thanks again for all your help, guys. Before I got your last replies, I actually just finished doing something similar to what you said, accomplishing the same thing.

I did 2 things. One was to put a spacer between the roller and the tab (attached to the tab with JB Weld for now) on the part of the pedal linkage that moves the TPS, essentially advancing the starting position and max range of the TPS switch rotation. I did that instead of bending the tab, so that I didn't run the risk of screwing up the max/min pedal travel. I made sure to not extend the spacer down too far towards the pedal so it didn't contact the stop pin and prevent the pedal from travelling all the way to the original max position.

Secondly, I had to "adjust" (a.k.a. BEND) the tab on the pedal that pushes the IVS so that it released the IVS before the TPS moved too far. Otherwise, the engine would have immediately jumped from idle to about 1200 RPM, with no control in between.

As far as I can tell to this point, it's going to work fine. I guess we'll find out for sure when I leave for work come Monday morning...

Again, thanks for your help. I'm sure I'll be back on the forums with some more fun problems to ask you about. I think a clutch replacement & conversion to a single mass flywheel is next. Hopefully I'll be able to offer some help of my own for some things, too.

Take care.

kbud14

I will never learn
Reaction score
Thanks, that helps me too. Have the same problem.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodrow58