Accident averted and lesson learned (LONG)

Fire1

Certified Diesel Driver
Reaction score
I purchased 4 Bridgestone Dueler A/T Revo's in 2005 and about 25,000 miles ago. They have been pretty good tires thus far, but two have worn more that the others. I keep them at 60-65 psi usually and rotate pretty much on schedule. Today I decided it would be good to bump the pressure up in prep for trip towing the new TT to Arkansas. I go to do the back tires (the poorly wearing ones) and I just start to put air in and for whatever reason I start reading the side wall. It shows 44 psi MAX:eek: . WTF, I purchased E-rated tires, that should be 80 psi! So I look at the fronts and they show 80 psi max. I look again and notice the back two a P-series and the fronts are LT's. I was about to put 80 psi in a 44 psi rated tire and drive 600 miles with my family and trailer.

So I get on the horn with my Firestone dealer and begin explaining the issue. He starts looking things up and doing some figuring and such. He then tells me with the pro rated warranty on the P-series it will cost me approx. $100+or -. I explain that I do not feel I should pay for THEIR mistake. He then say OK, no charge see you tomorrow for 2 new LT tires:D .

I hate that this happened, but am glad I noticed it PRIOR to hitting the road loaded down and over pressure. I am happy that they took care of so cooperatively. So hope all goes well tomorrow. Now, I just gotta get my truck to them while I'm on shift.

I am a little surprised I did not notice before, but it is a subtle difference. So I have been running a 44psi rated tire at 60 psi and that would partially explain the wear issue. That and the lighter rated tire. So lesson learned, CHECK EVERYONE'S WORK!!!!! Mistakes happen.:doh:

fordtrucker4life!

I work with waste
Reaction score
ICHECK EVERYONE'S WORK!!!!! Mistakes happen.:doh:

I know about that. I am getting tired of checking over other people's work, but you need to so you don't get screwed. -mad I have been blessed by good tire stores, but as for my parts stores that is another story. People just don't care about their customers like they used to. :(

Reaction score
It is a good thing you checked, but I'd still be pi$$ed that I didn't get what I asked for to begin with (I'm assuming you paid for 4 LTs). I'm glad they fixed their problem, but personally I'd have a hard time giving them future business.:2c

Y'all have a fun and safe trip in AR!:sweet

Scot

;()
Reaction score
Things like that make me go postal. When I go to a specailty shop for anything I expect them to know more than me about their so called "specialty".

A SA @ a Ford dealer telling me I don't have the 6.0 and insisting I have the 7.3

Another SA saying I can't have the torqshift in my 03 cuz they didn't come out until 04.

On the same day, one "TIRE" store says "I've never heard of the "E" load rating" - I walked out. Next store says "D" range is the replacement for "E" and "E" is no longer available. That is a safety issue for anyone who doesn't kow better & the manager got an earfull from me. His counter person was too interested in a sale to worry about the safety of the truck.-mad

Too many people just make something up instead of saying "I DON'T KNOW" or "I'LL HAVE TO CHECK ON THAT FOR YOU"

Fire1 - I hope it was just a mistake and not ignorance. Glad you caught it before the trip.

XTrmXJ

NACHHOOOOOOO!!!!
Reaction score
It took Walmart 6 hours to change 6 tires on the dually, I watched them the whole time, they almost put an impact on the simulators, then right before they went to install the new tires on the truck I asked them what PSI did they put in and there response was "34psi, like every other tire", WRONG AGAIN NANCY.. Needless to say I got $300 dollars knocked off and I will never have to touch my tires again, Road side assistance, life time balace, rotation, replacement, flat repair, and a 60k mile warrenty thrown in and I can take it to a trucking company for anything and Walmart will pick up the tab, and that also include road side.. There were other issues also, but I wont bore you with those

frankorego

Big "O"
Reaction score
Same thing here

Ordered my tires off the i-net, took it to my friends shop to get put on at no charge, went on a trip and got about 10mpg. Got home and discovered they only put 35psi in the LT tires. Called my bud back and said he needs to train his mechs, needs to learn 'em how to read the SIDEWALL. Dumb assess!!! I put 65psi in 'em.

Maxtor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I ALWAYS look at the max psi before airing any of my tires for two reasons.

1. I have eight vehicles that have tires, most at different pressures.

2. I am old and always forget what they take.

:D

Fire1

Certified Diesel Driver
Reaction score
Well I drop off the truck this morning whilst I am "working". I call later to check and they say it is ready. So I run by to pick it up. I look at the tires and indeed they did put LT series on this time, but they put LOAD Range C:cussing: . So I march back inside and let them know of my displeasure. Can't get too angry as I am representing a Government agency at the time. They promise to get the right tires out ASAP and on. So off I go. They call shortly stating it is ready and later I go by to get it. This time it is correct. They guy at the counter says "We just needed somone who knew about truck tires to fix this for you." DUH! The guy that screwed up the second time called and appologized profusely.

Again, lesson learned, CHECK EVERYTHING THAT SOMEONE ELSE TOUCHES ON MY TRUCK!!

Now she's ready to tow with two new FREE tires.

Last edited:

WD40

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Have fun in Arkansas, Where will you be camping at? Fish are biting right now but it is cool tonight. If you need any help I am as close as your phone. Bryan & Robert have my cell number.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Colvinecoboost14