Acetone revisited

95_stroker

Jefe
Reaction score
Lets discuss this, I know that it has been discussed before but I have since forgotten all the finer details of what was discussed. I know it was very controversial when it was last discussed at TDS. Folks using it are reporting increases of upto 30% in fuel mileage. Reportedly 2 oz in 10 gallons for diesels and 3 oz in 10 gallons for gasses................ lets hear it guys, what say you?

DaveBen

SDD Senior Member
Reaction score
That is ineteresting. I have not heard of this. I am wondering what it will do to the motor and injectors. It is a harsh solvent with NO lube. Anyone else have a comment??

Dave :dunno :dunno

kenh

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I would question the 30% increase in mileage.
Personally, I am reluctant to introduce an unknown into a pricy fuel system.
It was discussed in detail here:
http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net//Forum1/HTML/013660.html

I believe it was mentioned that ignition/combustion is not a problem, on the order of 95% or so.
But, much of the power is lost to heat, to the radiator, out the tailpipe.

Last edited:

95_stroker

Jefe
Reaction score
Acetone Article

As I said, its controversial and if you do some research into it you will see that both sides of the debate are pretty passionate about thier beliefs.

hheynow

Señor Aceite de Soja
Reaction score
Mike, We need a guinea pig. Care to step up to the plate? After reading up on the acetone debate on many other auto forums I'm still undecided. I accept the fact that the surface tension will change but am leery of the acetone doing damage to any seals etc. I did check Snopes and there are NO urban legends regarding mpg increase by adding acetone to gas or diesel. :dunno

Reaction score
I must have visited several hundred web sites looking into this subject . . . and damn near every site points to the sites -PESWiki.com and/or lubedev.com - as the source for it's information. Apparently Louis LaPointe decided about 50 years ago to make it his crusade to promote acetone - it's his graph and mix ratio that everyone uses.

There is no official study done by any group with any creditials - just ole Louis LaPointe. The only site that I found with anything worthwhile on the subject of testing is this one:

Acetone in Semi

And they again quote the aging Louis LaPointe.

To save some of you some time reading - here are some of those nagging questions answered:

What is the mix ratio?
1 to 3 oz per 10 gals, but nobody knows for sure.

Does it work?
Nobody knows.

Will it hurt my motor?
Nobody knows.

Will it eat the rubber and/or plastic parts in my fuel system?
Nobody knows. Keep in mind though that the mix is 1 to 3 oz per 10 gals. So it is highly diluted.

If it's highly diluted - how could it work?
Most all "additives" are highly diluted. How much commercial "diesel" additive are you using now? Most likely about the same as 1 to 3 oz per 10 gals.

Why do some report small gains using acetone?
Acetone is used as a metal cleaner - it most likely cleans your injectors/carb which in turn gives better mileage.

For more reading on the subject - grab a couple six packs, carton of smokes and Google - Acetone In Fuel

Ron

Last edited:

Crumm

Fordoholic
Reaction score
I was listening to am radio the other night. One of those late night shows was on and they were talking about acetone. The guy on the program swore by it but I would have to see what it did over time before I put it in my tank. A 30% gain in fuel mileage would be very nice considering todays fuel prices..

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jarrburg