Advice needed

rblprd

Losted and Confused
Reaction score
I am looking to purchase a new truck sometime this year.
I can get a decent deal with Ford so i am looking at the SD line, simply because I like heavier trucks and have wanted a strong pulling Diesel for a while now (would make pulling a comm trailer a lot better)

but I am a bit leary about the problems I have been finding on the net with the 6.0 PSD.

Have they gotten most of them worked out by and large with them now and should it be safe to not worry as much with a custom ordered truck with one in it (can't find my creature comforts in an on lot truck :confused: )

Any and all input will be greatly appreciated

(have several freinds with 7.3L PSD in dullies so I know a bit about the fords, but not much about the 6.0L PSD)

I will be leaving it largely stock for a while after I get anything anyway, probably drop exhaust (cat-back) and maybe change tires to something a tad wider if I can find a nice set of them locally, and Bumper, must have different bumpers I really like the RanchHand brand, decent price and not to HUGE for the Bull Nose series HI HI

Thanks in advance

John
Rblprd

WD40

Full Access Member
Reaction score
:thumbs Hello John and welcome to the best Power Stroke site around. Please post where you live now. We may have a SSD person living close to you. a lot of us have the 6.0s with everything from 50 miles on it up to around 250,000 miles. Most everyone seams to be pleased with there ride. Anything that's man made will brake down at times. I love mine.
See my signature below post.:thumbs

Reaction score
Welcome to SDD John :sweet

Yes - I think most of the problems were with the first year runs - the 03's and some 04's - but you will still find a ton of them either problem free or have had the recalls done - mine included. And at that - most of the problems were not really with the motor itself - but the electronics, etc. attached to the 6.0

Also I see your talking about towing and in your sig you list a F250. I'd suggest you look at the F350's - cost is only 4 to $500 more really and you get a ton more towing and hauling weight. Always better to have more than not enough :sweet

Plus look at the Tow Boss features - intergrated braking system and all -

Good luck to you -

Ron

powerboatr

living well in Texas
Reaction score
rgdillon said:
Welcome to SDD John :sweet

Also I see your talking about towing and in your sig you list a F250. I'd suggest you look at the F350's - cost is only 4 to $500 more really and you get a ton more towing and hauling weight. Always better to have more than not enough :sweet

Plus look at the Tow Boss features - intergrated braking system and all -

Good luck to you -

Ron

I will second the tow boss, pulls very well, the intergrated braking is terrific compared to my old prodigy.
spend the extra, you will never look back :sweet

ranger boy

Banned User
Reaction score
6.0L is a great engine, if you are buying new you have NO worries, mine runs like a charm at around 24,000 miles

DiscountPowerParts

SUPPORTING VENDOR
Reaction score
I have a 2005 and love it. Mine has 15K miles on it and I Hotrod it everyday. Not one problem. I must make you aware that 18" tires are not as comon as they should be by now. So, be warned that not too many people make them YET in an inexpencive type tire. I have the Tow Command Integraded brake system also and It takes all the worries out of towing. Also, A stock 6.0L with damn near keep up with a heavy modded 7.3L. So, with a desent tuner you will upset all of your friends.....I do!:burnit

rblprd

Losted and Confused
Reaction score
I am in 76010 Middle of the DFW metromess
was looking at the F-250 since it is in excess of my towing needs AND I could fit one out on the site and get an idea of list price for what I want. Just noticed they made the website config available for the F-350 this morning, so will juggle and see what is what.

I am looking at the Tow Command, Stabalizer, Advanced Security packages, with the 6.0L/Automatic, 3.73 limited-slip diff and Dual Alternators, plus a few creature comforts and maybe the PTO option just in case.

and if a stock 6.0L can outpull a modded 7.3L I may have fun with a friend of mine and drop a gooseneck in it from the get go (even thou I have no gooseneck trailer right now) and pull his 25K+ Rockcrawler Hualer just to tweak his nipples, since he has an 01 Dually with the 7.3 PSD and it pulls 70+ without a blink :roflmao

Thanks again :thanks

and has anyone had experiance with the Diesel Turbo Lifesaver from XtremeDiesel?

Looks like a good idea and one I may show to a few of my freinds with tow rigs now as that extra safety measure

WD40 said:
Please post where you live now. We may have a SSD person living close to you. a lot of us have the 6.0s with everything from 50 miles on it up to around 250,000 miles.

Last edited:

draftlover

Crybaby
Reaction score
I'd look at them all. I know this is a Ford site and people want to promote it. But, you need to get what's best for you! Check out Chevy and Dodge. Compare the three. Find out what probs. each is having. I have an '05 '6.0L and like the truck. I've lost two injectors, a steering stabilizer shock and have had numerous little things go wrong. Power is great, but reliability is questionable, at least for me. I read a write up in "Peterson's Off-Road" magazine recently that said the Duramax had 8 consumer complaints, Cummins had zero and the Powerstroke had 12,000 varying from fuel delivery to fit and finish.(I can't remember the time line or what agency this was reported to.) Ford also has 77 technical repair write ups for various things. Check 'em all out. Pick the one that's best for you.:sweet

rblprd

Losted and Confused
Reaction score
draftlover said:
Check 'em all out. Pick the one that's best for you.:sweet

The other bit thou that is making me lean towards Ford is I can probably get a sweet deal (will have to see how sweet before I order, but sweet none the less)

Course I may be able to swing the deal for a Chevy too, wil have to dig in to a bit (friends are great, bug em enough and you might get anything)

The Duramax is the one that caught my eye years ago, I love the Trucks and know several people with em, this is boiling down to the deal I can get I think. :p

DiscountPowerParts

SUPPORTING VENDOR
Reaction score
The Duramax is a fine truck, infact all the new diesels are increadable machines. We have customers that call us everyday and would not own anything but what they have. I will give you my thought process on why to get a Ford.

1. Its a Ford
2. Chevy does not have a good strong front axle. It may ride better, but when it comes to work....not my first choice.
3. The Duramax is a Isuzu engine. Maybe I'm just too patriotic.
4. Dodge....the name alone implies that you should avoid it at all cost. :)
5. The Superduty in my opinion is the best looking by far.
6. Its been the best selling truck forever for a reason.
7. The 6.0L is made by international and they are from Canada and they make good Beer!
8. Its a Ford
9. The Allison trany is very strange when you start adding power and try to adjust shift preasures.
10. Big Foot is a Ford and he rules!
11. Chicks dig a good PowerStroke.

Please remember I own 3 of them and I will never admit I was wrong for buying one lol.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Colvinecoboost14