Question After Market Fuel Tank

odalith

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
One of the first things I want to do when I get my new truck is put a larger fuel tank on it.

I talked to Transfer Flow...

Ford pickup replacement tanks

The have the new tank for the 6.5' bed but not for the 172" wheel base. They offered to cut me a deal if I'm willing to be the first. I've used their tanks before, they are very nice tanks, so I'm sure it will be ok.

I'm just curious if anyone knows of anyone who is already making them?

WD40

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I only know of one person who has one of these tanks and it's on a GMC 3/4 ton and it has worked very well for the last 5 or 6 years. I see where they are giving you $50.00 off if you order now. That will buy you 15 gal of Diesel fuel. LOL
Doug

odalith

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
I only know of one person who has one of these tanks and it's on a GMC 3/4 ton and it has worked very well for the last 5 or 6 years. I see where they are giving you $50.00 off if you order now. That will buy you 15 gal of Diesel fuel. LOL
Doug

The price of diesel is enough to make you think ULSD is just an excuse to get the price up, isn't it?

Zmann ARGH

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think Titan already has them available,,but you didn't list your specifics

Tail_Gunner

CRJ & ERJ A&P Mech.
Reaction score
Many years ago I got an auxillary fuel tank.

When I was shopping, the question I had in mind was "what is the cost per gallon of INCREASED capacity?"

In my case, the factory tank was 38 gallons. A replacement tank with a 57 gallon capacity would yield a net increase of only 19 gallons. At a cost of over $1100 with shipping, that was a cost of about $58 per gallon of capacity. Not a very good cost effectiveness in my book.

Then I looked at an aux tank to install in the bed of the truck. I got a 100 gallon tank for IIRC about $400. That comes to only $4 per gallon of extra fuel capacity. Much more attractive IMHO.

So with the transfer pump I rigged and the plumbing, gauge, shutoff valve etc, it still came in for well under $550. Yeah, I lost a bit of bed space, but I had a 8' bed and most the time I don't even use more than about 6 1/2' of it any how. If need be I can put lighter weight stuff on top of the tank since I have a topper/shell on the bed.

My primary reasoning for getting the tank was business related. I used to pull a trailer all over the country. In addition to not wanting to stop for fuel as often, saving money was the other reason. I would go on-line and check fuel prices along my route of travel. If I could fill both tanks and save 10 cents a gallon with a 120 gallon fill, I'd save $12 on fuel. Often I was able to save much more than just 10 cents a gallon. I also saved my time of not filling as often and being able to drive past the "last chance for fuel traveler traps".

That $12 I saved on the fuel paid for my supper.

Over the period of time I had the tank and traveled for business, it paid for itself several times over.

odalith

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
When I was shopping, the question I had in mind was "what is the cost per gallon of INCREASED capacity?"

That's a very good point Tail_Gunner!

My situation is a bit different from yours but the philosophy still applies. I'm going into Mexico with many years of experience with which to justify a concern about fuel quality in a ULSD world!!!

A bed tank may be the solution. I put one in my 3500 DRW (454) years ago and didn't like the loss of space for a tank that NEVER got used when I was in the states. It seemed like it always had fuel residue on it also. All of which pales in comparison to the cost of replacing a 2011, graphiron block with aluminum head and a composite oil pan!!!

I think if I can get 75 gallons with a replacement tank, that would be enough to take care of me but I'm not sure of the capacity I can get with a replacement.

Zmann ARGH

Full Access Member
Reaction score
what is the cost per gallon of INCREASED capacity

my titan midship replacment holds 22 gallons more than the 29 gallon stocker
and since I harpooned the titan it really holds that completley

and since I found it brand new with the 100$ skidplate option on craigslist for 150 $ I was ok with that lol

had something to do with a divorce//

sorry Odalith yours is so new it will take some time but not much for them to get one out the transfer tanks are kinda cool for one big reason the Miles to empty is messed up with an increased replacment the transfers are fine the comp thinks you just filled up

Last edited:

FTG-05

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Many years ago I got an auxillary fuel tank.

In my case, the factory tank was 38 gallons. A replacement tank with a 57 gallon capacity would yield a net increase of only 19 gallons. At a cost of over $1100 with shipping, that was a cost of about $58 per gallon of capacity. Not a very good cost effectiveness in my book.

Then I looked at an aux tank to install in the bed of the truck. I got a 100 gallon tank for IIRC about $400. That comes to only $4 per gallon of extra fuel capacity. Much more attractive IMHO.

So with the transfer pump I rigged and the plumbing, gauge, shutoff valve etc, it still came in for well under $550. Yeah, I lost a bit of bed space, but I had a 8' bed and most the time I don't even use more than about 6 1/2' of it any how. If need be I can put lighter weight stuff on top of the tank since I have a topper/shell on the bed.

My primary reasoning for getting the tank was business related. I used to pull a trailer all over the country. In addition to not wanting to stop for fuel as often, saving money was the other reason. I would go on-line and check fuel prices along my route of travel. If I could fill both tanks and save 10 cents a gallon with a 120 gallon fill, I'd save $12 on fuel. Often I was able to save much more than just 10 cents a gallon. I also saved my time of not filling as often and being able to drive past the "last chance for fuel traveler traps".

That $12 I saved on the fuel paid for my supper.

Over the period of time I had the tank and traveled for business, it paid for itself several times over.

That's the same exact analysis and conclusion that I came to for my '06 PSD.

My aux fuel tank:

http://www.rocketcityrockcrawlers.c...ling_an_Aux_Fuel_Tank_paper_2007-06-18_R1.pdf

W4RLR

High Tech Hillbilly
Reaction score

That's a very good point Tail_Gunner!

My situation is a bit different from yours but the philosophy still applies. I'm going into Mexico with many years of experience with which to justify a concern about fuel quality in a ULSD world!!!

A bed tank may be the solution.
Maybe, maybe not. I seem to remember something about the federales taking a very dim view of gringos in expensive diesel pickups having auxiliary fuel tanks in the beds of their trucks.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodrow58