After market radios

Rookie

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The dash lights are all but out on my daughters Ranger and to pull the dash I need to remove the radio. Well it's not factory and aside from using a prybar to get it out, is there a way to remove it? I can't figure it out and the stereo shops want $50 to pop it loose. Any ideas?

Tx_Atty

Master Baiter
Reaction score
does it use the U shaped prongs like the factory? It would have two holes on either side of the face, one above the other.

whatabudro

Launched
Reaction score
It really all depends on the brand of radio it is, even then their may be different tools required depending on its age. Most aftermarket radios come with the tools but they end up getting lost at some point. Each brand has its own special tool. Are you sure that the radio doesn't come out with the dash itself? On the superduties you can just pop the dash out and the radio will come with it. If so then you should be able to pop out the dash with radio attached to it, far enough out to see what you have to do to remove it. Its usually nothing more than a couple of pressure pins that need released. Then the radio should slide out from the front.

Rookie

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It's a Pioneer radio and the dash cover will not come away with it still mounted. I have the factory radio removal tools but they won't work on this one. The frame is clamped in (somehow) and the radio won't let go of it. I was going to use a couple of butter knives in the slots to see if they would release it but the wife caught me leaving the house with them and pretty much squashed that idea. Maybe Crutchfield(?) has something I could purchase to release it.

What happened to the good ole days when you could reach up behind the dash the change the bulbs out :( .

Tx_Atty

Master Baiter
Reaction score
Rookie said:
What happened to the good ole days when you could reach up behind the dash the change the bulbs out :( .

'fraid those days went out with black and white, tv tubes, and rabbit ears!

whatabudro

Launched
Reaction score
On a pioneer you'll need to squeeze something like a butter knife (maybe thinner) between the radio and the "single din" cage that it mounts in. It will be on the sides of the radio that you need to do it on.

Y'all have any metal pallet banding at your work? That would probably work pretty good.

Crusin350

D Dub
Reaction score
most pioneer tools are are about the same, if you know anyone with a pioneer head unit you could barrow theirs. Or you could run to walmart and buy a head unit use the tools then return it.

Crumm

Fordoholic
Reaction score
You can get them on ebay for like .99 plus shipping if you are not in too big of a hurry. You can also build some. Here is a picture of what they look like. Notice the little dimple at the end.

c4_1.JPG

Here is the auction.

bushpilot

Full Access Member
Reaction score
some local stereo shop (bestbuy, cartoys, walmart might even have 'em)
i know walmart sells the stock ford tool.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodrow58