Question aftermarket air intakes

Freddie

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Thinking about adding an aftermarket air intake such as K&N. Are they worth the money? Can I really notice a difference in performance? :)

sagebel

Stock? Pfft!
Reaction score
Welcome to SDD!

Yes, aftermarket intakes add performance. Some will debate weather or not they are worth the money. What is not a debate is that K&N filters are not good for our trucks due to their sub-standard filtering. A DIY Tymar set up is the cheapest (do a search and you will find how to make it). The real Tymar is pretty cheap compared to the AFE. Checkout some of the site sponsors and see what they offer.

Tail_Gunner

CRJ & ERJ A&P Mech.
Reaction score
I have tried in the past, both a "Tymar" style open filter element and a fresh air style Ford AIS.

I found that especially in the summer and while towing, the AIS allowed things to run noticeably cooler. This was compared to the open element style which drew in under hood air.

The AIS has an intake snorkle that goes forward towards the grille area. Used in conjunction with a "zoodad" mod, the intake air is about as fresh and cool as you can get.

I'm not that familiar with some of the other intakes. But I've seen some open element types with a "box" and intake which intakes fresh air from the grille area. I'd look for something with that fresh air feature.

Freddie

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
thanks for the advise Kent. How's the A&P license going? I have one of those myself but haven't used it for over 15 years. Don

ghoff

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
The Volant intake looks pretty good. I made the mistake of putting the K&N on my truck several years ago. That might be the next thing to go.

Tail_Gunner

CRJ & ERJ A&P Mech.
Reaction score
thanks for the advise Kent. How's the A&P license going? I have one of those myself but haven't used it for over 15 years. Don

Going good, I put a post over in the lounge about making the Dean's list for last semester.

I did just sort of dodge a bullet this morning though. We had the quiz for AC electricity. Considering the difficulty everybody was having overall in that subject area, the quiz was about as much of a gimme that I think we'll see for the rest of the year. I was having concerns about just passing period, but I aced it as well as nailing the extra credit problem for a 104% grade. So I'm pretty relieved.

Now I get to go pound rivets!!!

We now return to your regularly scheduled program.

Last edited:

dboyw

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Tail_Gunner, your signature answers this but I want to be sure. You see no ill effects with the AIS on your modded truck? I saw a page somewhere that said the AIS should not be used on modded trucks. I'll assume that the foam sleeve helps in suppling enough air for the truck.

Is the foam sleeve available at Lowes, Home Depot, or only from suppliers?

Thanks

Tail_Gunner

CRJ & ERJ A&P Mech.
Reaction score
I saw a page somewhere that said the AIS should not be used on modded trucks. I'll assume that the foam sleeve helps in suppling enough air for the truck.

I suspect that statement was somebody's opinion, possibly someone who prefers an open element maybe? I've never heard that and I've never had a problem. If anything, the suck-o-meter would go down some with all the mods I have. The foam sleeve took care of that.

Is the foam sleeve available at Lowes, Home Depot, or only from suppliers?
Got the foam sleeve from the same place I bought the AIS from (not Ford). I don't see why one couldn't fab up their own though.

Last edited:

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Colvinecoboost14