Aftermarket Fuel Tanks

Ratchet

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
I just traded in my 2012 F-450 CC 4X4 dually for a 2015 F-250 CC 4X4 short box to pull our Airstream. When going to the short box the fuel tank size decreased from 37 gallons to 26 gallons. I am thinking about having an aftermarket Titan fuel tank installed. It is a 50 gallon poly tank and it resides in the same space as the original tank plus it uses the original fuel pump and sending unit. I like the fact that it occupies the same space as the original tank because I need the room in the pick up bed for camping and hauling.

Has anyone installed these tanks in their trucks? Opinions on this or other aftermarket tanks. Thanks for any information.

Doug

RoyBoy

Diesel Dork
Reaction score
Biggest concern with aftermarket tanks is to be absolutely sure they have no problems with water intrusion. Some tanks have had problems with this, but I believe the majority of the problems were due to installation errors.

LonestarBronco

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Doug,

I have no experience with Titan products, but I do have an aftermarket tank. I use the 46 gallon replacement tank from Transfer Flow and couldn't be happier with it.

Mine: https://www.transferflow.com/shop/product/0800111952?p=1&c=10&s=p-
For your truck:https://www.transferflow.com/shop/product/0800114968?p=1&c=10&s=p-

Generally speaking, the extended range is awesome for road trips and I enjoy only fueling my truck about twice a month locally. I regularly draw 42-44 gallons out of the tank with no issue. This makes my road trip range (70 mph, no trailer, no heavy pedal) 750-800 miles. When I planned it right I would drive from Denton, TX to Washington, DC with one fuel stop in Nashville, TN. The larger tank saves a few coins here and there by enabling you to buy more fuel at cheaper prices and then hopefully have the range to skip pricier stations. My filler neck is also modified to accept the big rig nozzles which saves me time at the station (until the diesel starts foaming, but that is a different story). For my truck, the increase in fuel capacity was 59% (29 to 46). For you the increase will be 92% (26 to 50), almost double! Doubling your range and time between fill-ups is very nice, especially when you are pulling a trailer and don't want to stop every 250 miles to fill up again. As expensive as the tank may be, I would never want to go back to a regular sized one.

As I said, I am very pleased with the Transfer Flow tank. The mounting brackets they provide make installation and removal a breeze. The construction of the tank is very durable. I bought my truck at 130,000 (tank already installed), am now at 240,000, and the tank still looks great. No rust, no breaks in the finish, nothing. Last time I had the tank off (to modify the pickup) the inside looked nice and shiny, no signs of rust.

Finally, one idiosyncrasy of the larger tank is the relationship of actual fuel level to what your gauge will indicate. For example, I drive 200-220 miles after topping off before my needle moves down to "F" and I know I can drive 100-120 miles after my "LOW FUEL" light illuminates and still have 1.5-2 gallons in the tank.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodrow58