Ahhh! Broken rear axle!

Crazy Cowboy

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
I have a 12 bolt Sterling 10.25" rear axle which I believe I broke the rear shaft today while 'having fun' :( So... I guess tomorrow I will pull the cover and shaft to see what I broke. for sure. Put the rear up in the air and turned the driver's side with no driveshaft movement.... turned the passenger and it turned the driveshaft fine. I'm not familiar with the axle but it's supposed to be a Posi 3.73 rear. Is this a factory axle in the 01 Excursion 4wd Diesel? Seems to be a rare one from my searching so far.

Can't seem to find an axle shaft ANYWHERE!! :dunno Anyone know where to get them new or used for this axle? Only good thing out of this whole mess is that I could drive home in 4WD using the front drive - the back is not doing a thing. Driveshaft turns, wheels go = zero :(

Crumm

Fordoholic
Reaction score
I would pull it apart before you buy a axle. It could very well be an axle but it may be a side gear or something else.

Crazy Cowboy

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Yea, more I think about it I better pull it apart and see what's happening in there. Hoping for the cheapest possible part to be broken - or at least the most easily available. I was kinda hoping for a broken pinion shaft or something but then the passenger side wheel wouldn't turn the driveshaft! That would at least have given me an excuse to do the gears :D

JLDickmon

ursus combibo
Reaction score
sounds like a busted axle shaft... if it's a limited slip rear diff, it won't have side gears...

THEDIESELMAN

John Deere Tech
Reaction score
It has to have side gears because it has four spider gears 2 side gears and 1 on top and bottom. Just because the driveline doesn't spin when you turn the drivers side tire doesn't mean you have a broken axle it could also just be the diff.

jopes

Full Access Member
Reaction score
sounds like a busted axle shaft... if it's a limited slip rear diff, it won't have side gears...

ummm, limited slips still have side gears. side gears go on the axle shafts, and the spider gears also known as the pinions go on the cross shaft.

Crazy Cowboy

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
I'm ripping into it in the morning, but I spoke to the guy at the ring and pinion company who I was planning on getting gears from and when I gave him the axle code from the tab on the cover bolt tag he said it was a 12 bolt Sterling axle 10.25" with a 3.73 Posi. If I recall, Posi is just another name for limited slip, but I could be wrong. Either way, I hope it's not the axle.... even though the axle's easier to replace, it seems it's easier to find the gears and setup than a replacement shaft.

What should I be looking for? I'm betting it will stand out like a sore thumb when I get the cover off if it's in there and not a shaft? If it is a side gear what would I need to order parts-wise?

Thanks for all the input and help so far. I'm so ticked! The truck was all over the road before I replaced the front steering today with new tie-rods and drag-link. I drove it for about an hour before I broke the rear and it was driving so civilized - no pulling or wandering :D One thing I found was there's still about a 1/4" of play in the pitman arm to drag link tie-rod. I was thinking of maybe taking the drag link off and having it replaced with a custom made link that would be tighter. Something like www.bulletproofsteering.com makes? Anyone have their stuff? Those 46's are fun, but what a PITA they can be on stock components!!!

patrickc

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If it's the spider gears or side gears you need to replace all 4 gears. (2 spider gears, 2 side gears) It's also a good time to inspect and/or repair the posi clutches. It's a hell of a lot easier to fix a broken axle than the spider gears!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Colvinecoboost14