Air conditioning slowing down

wilsonbaird

wilsonbaird
Reaction score
Hey guys
When I was coming from Sacramento to Tampa, my truck (2002 7.3 Lariat) start to behave on the air conditioning: It would start well and cool dawn for about couple hundred miles, them, it slowly would start to diminish the amount of the air flowing thru the vents (was not frozen up) but the compressor was still working and the little air coming thru was cold (but not enough air to cool dawn the cab, and I could rear the fan motor working harder by the noise being louder). Every time when I stooped to fuel, eat, etc.. after 1/2 hour or so it would start at full force again, for another couple of hundred miles! I am planing to check on it and wonder if any one has gone thru this already and can give me some advice.
Thanks.

Last edited:

JLDickmon

ursus combibo
Reaction score
flip it back & forth from AC to heat when it does it and see if that changes anything

BIG JOE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
@ Wine Country RV Park, Paso Robles, Ca.

Also.. Give the Pressure Switch Connector a wiggle. If you can control the A/C clutch by moving the connector, the pins a probably corroded.. giving you intermittent contact.:dunno

Joe

Stroked68

This is FORD Country
Reaction score
Could be yer blower motor goin bad. Also could be the air pump getting weak.

wilsonbaird

wilsonbaird
Reaction score
air cond

flip it back & forth from AC to heat when it does it and see if that changes anything
Thanks for reply.
Does not change anything. When I do flip from max to regular, or to defrost and leave it there for a while, it does get better.

wilsonbaird

wilsonbaird
Reaction score
cold air

Could be yer blower motor goin bad. Also could be the air pump getting weak.

Thanks for your reply. This is a good idea. ill replace those items even because I don't want it going bad in the mid of some trip. I will post the results.

JRJ04

Reaction score
mine started to do this...and my alternator was bad...

It takes juice to turn that blower motor and if your alternator is going bad, the batteries wont hold a charge, thus cant move the air fast enough.

It's worth getting it checked...

wilsonbaird

wilsonbaird
Reaction score
air cond

mine started to do this...and my alternator was bad...

It takes juice to turn that blower motor and if your alternator is going bad, the batteries wont hold a charge, thus cant move the air fast enough.

It's worth getting it checked...

Thanks Jourdan. I will check the amp also.

JLDickmon

ursus combibo
Reaction score
I dunno dude.. nothing makes sense here...

If the motor is running, and you can hear it running, but it's not pumping any air through the box..

almost sounds to me like something is jacked up with the squirrel cage (at least that's where I'd START looking.. loose on the shaft of the motor or something..

even if it had a clogged up cabin filter (not all trucks have them, they were a dealer installed option) it should still blow on recirc (max)..

wilsonbaird

wilsonbaird
Reaction score
air cond

Well, this is what is intriguing me: It start well, works fine for about 2/3 hours and them, starts to dwindling, and remember, there is no frost (which would clog the air passage) and I can rear the raised noise of the fan motor and it in the maximum position! If I flip back to defrost or regular air (coming from out side) it (slowly) start to work and after about half of hour I can go back to maximum position (recirculate) again. Problem is if the day is hot, is very uncomfortable that half of hour or so, plus I want to discover and fix it. I did not had a time yet, but this week I am planing to start on and, yes, I have some concern with the box, maybe some leaves could been clogging it after some time working....

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodrow58