Air conditioning slowing down

JLDickmon

ursus combibo
Reaction score
that's got a problem with the doors in the box.
not sure exactly what, but that's where the problem is

BIG JOE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Seems at this point, it would be worth pulling the cowl and fan/motor.. checking for stuff blocking the intake air.

I had a similar problem on my 91, did the Above.. found Pine needles & small leaves and junk.. They'd settle, fan off.. then stir up and restrict the air flow..fan on, after awhile.

I also.. fan removed/disconnected.. blew air Backwards (Shop-Vac) through the vents, as I cycled through the settings.. with tape covering the other vents.... more crap blew out. PIA but it worked.:dunno

Joe

JLDickmon

ursus combibo
Reaction score
yeah, I didn't think of that.. you'd have to have exactly on buttload of crud in there, but it's possible

Dogman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You need to check your A/C psi. on the high and low sides and make shore your not freezing up. If your freezing up then you will slowly lose air flow. You could have a orifice tube getting pluged up (90% of the time it is) if so then the A/C compresser is going to need replacement alang with the dryer.

wilsonbaird

wilsonbaird
Reaction score
air cond

You need to check your A/C psi. on the high and low sides and make shore your not freezing up. If your freezing up then you will slowly lose air flow. You could have a orifice tube getting pluged up (90% of the time it is) if so then the A/C compresser is going to need replacement alang with the dryer.

It's NOT freezing up. I know the fact that after 200K the time to changer the compressor (the clutch on mine had that washer already taken off) and dryer, but, it's not freezing now. I see if I can start to work on it this Friday or Monday and I do think I will open the fan box and start from there. Probably, I will change the fan, just because the mileage gone and my intentions of another 200k. I will let you guys know. And by the way, thanks for all the advice, the Bible say that ..."there is wisdom in the multitude of counsel"....

JLDickmon

ursus combibo
Reaction score
I don't think you'd necessarily have to change the blower motor.. you said it never quits running, right?

I'd pull it and look around in there with a mirror and a flashlight, though..

wilsonbaird

wilsonbaird
Reaction score
air cond

I don't think you'd necessarily have to change the blower motor.. you said it never quits running, right?

I'd pull it and look around in there with a mirror and a flashlight, though..

Thanks for your replay. Today I took off the fan motor and inside was relatively clean, just a little dusty, not bad for 200k. I was expecting to find it clogged but not came out, even after I blow off it a electrical blower! As I just changed the IDM, valve cover gasket and the injectors harness, I need to purge the air in the fuel (already purged the oil):oval, them drive it for couple of hours ( I have to go to Miami, it will give me a good idea if the air is fixed). One thing I learn about those truck.... as long you do not need to touch it, there will be a long lasting endurance on most of the parts, but once you start to work on it, and touch it, bingo!!

BIG JOE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
After 18 posts.. I'm thinking it's time for you to take it to an Auto A/C shop and have the whole A/C system checked out by a Professional.

I (for one) don't understand what purging the air, from the oil & fuel.. would have to do with the A/C ??

Sounds more & more like a LOW Freon charge now. :dunno

Joe

iracemine

black and tan
Reaction score
well lets re-cap:

HE says the ac is always cold, but after a bit of driving the fan will slow way down. Even with the fan barely blowing the air its self is still cold.
He also says that the fan is still making high revaluation noise when in high.

so the fan and the ac are working properly. Just not getting the cold air to him.

I also agree this was the first time in 15 years I brought my car/truck to a repair shop to have them fix my ac. (well had them charged it).

So keep up the possibilitys and keep up with the results.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodrow58