Air Filter upgrade kits

Tcat

Tcat-F350
Reaction score
I going ask some more of your expertize since all of you have tried different configuration on the 7.3 I am going by your knowledge. I have a new Magnaflow exhaust coming to me and Now I am going to up grade the Air intake filter box. It seems that there are all kinds of companys that make different systems for the 7.3. My Question is there One that stands out above the rest?

Reaction score
Tcat,

From what I have heard/read the AFE Stage II is probably one of the best, but it is also one of the most expensive. You can go that route, or do-it-yourself (DIY) using the following link: Wiki

The Wiki section is at the bottom of the forums and contains a lot of helpful articles (with pics) that members have put together for us.:sweet

CHPMustang

Reaction score
Dollar for HP the DIY intake filter is the best buy but if I had a choice the AFE Stage II would be my choice as well:sweet

Tcat

Tcat-F350
Reaction score
Thanks for the information I will look to see what the cost is here in Ca, It seems that the AFE stage 2 is on alot of trucks in this forum

Mark Craig

Advertising Sponsor
Reaction score
Tcat,

The AFE Stage II with Pro Guard 7 is by far the mega system for the 7.3's! When you include the intake tube to the turbo, the size of the filter and the dirt stopping ability of the PG7 filter it's hard to beat. If you have any quetions on it or need a price check with us as all the AFE products require that the MAP price be posted on all sites etc.

Mark @ DPPI

Tcat

Tcat-F350
Reaction score
Thanks for the information Craig/ I just called and talked to Kenny

RSG

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I like this info, thanks! Air intakes with crummy filtration seem short sighted to me, so this AFE advertising makes sense. But sure is pricey! Before spending this money, I guess I have more questions.

What are the differences between the AFE Pro 7 I and II models? The "I" model seems to have the suction guage still on the box, why? Are the filters the same, and only the housing differs on these units?

I see the pix: http://www.dieselperformanceparts.c...11/mfg_id/1/es_id/12/y_id/11/pt_id/3/spt_id/0 but are there some performance specs to go with these, like airflow at a few different pressure drops?

Is it true that these filters are reusable? For how long under "normal" conditions?

Thanks for the input, I really appreciate it.

Mark Craig

Advertising Sponsor
Reaction score
RSG,

The AFE Stage I re uses the lower half of the stock air box, good but has a smaller filter than the 7.3 would really like to have. The Stage II uses a much larger filter and totally replaces the eintire air box, filter to turbo tube and even the battery tray to make room for the largest filter that will fit. See our site for pics.

Mark @ DPPI

RSG

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Mark
Thanks. I understand now that there are substantial differences in filter coverage between I and II models and #II is a swap for the entire "region" near the battery and existing airfilter. What can you tell me about airflow vs. pressure drop on these two filters in the clean state? This should be a standard specification from your engineers. Which you must be having on payroll based on the prices :sweet (I be engineer):thumbs

Also, still confused on filter maintenance/life? Your pix show a suction guage on model I and nada for model II. How do I maintain one of these highend filters (either model)? Are they to be washed? Replaced?

Oh, while being a pest, is that a powder coat on model II? Under the battery holder? Looks pretty nice!

Mark Craig

Advertising Sponsor
Reaction score
RSG,

DPPI is a warehouse for the AFE products, no engineers here etc. The Stage I with standard media increases flow by 150% per AFE, the PG7 will be 3-4% less. The Stage II is considerable more but I don't have a number for you.

All the systems use powder coating and amlost all have a place for the air minder, but don't pay any attention to the air minders. Unlike Class 8 minders these are pertty poor at being accurate! Cleaning is impossible to say how often as it is based on where you live, west Texas vs Wisconsin etc. Usually 8,000-12,000 miles is a good average. After a while of owning one you'll see what you need to do etc.

By the way the PG7 is 99.5% efficient at stopping dirt, very good for a diesel engine.

Mark @ DPPI

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Colvinecoboost14