Air filters

JMF350

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
I've heard that some don't like K&N air filters. What is so bad about them and what is recommended? Thanks.

platinum01

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Don't run K&N. The micros that it filters is not small enough and you will begin sucking dirt in to the turbo. I actually sucked a rock threw mine. Luckly stopped before the turbo wheel. If you want to run one stick with AFE they are a really popular and very good brand.

I don't know if you are new to the PS world or are still running mostly stock truck but if you want to do some quick do it your self stuff check out the WIKI posts for the DIY articles. The is an after market air filter from napa called a 6637 that is a good replacement for the stock and just a step below an AFE step up.

Fill in your sig so we can learn more about your truck.

Diezel Dawg

vvv Real NW Truck
Reaction score
you could also go with with the Tymar intake, i believe it runs about $196 for the whole set up. it uses a Donaldson Filter instead of the NAPA filter

JRJ04

Reaction score
The k&n filter that is bad is the drop in replacement. I've had the entire intake on mine for nearly 2 years with the pre-filter and the inside of the tube is as clean as a whistle.

The most important thing with any filter is that you make sure it is properly oiled and has a good, tight seal.

I have my k&n intake for sale if you are interested. (Theres nothing wrong with it, but I'm going to be upgrading to an AFE Stage II, but need to build up the cash).

Ford0273

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
I've had my K&N system on my truck for at least 4 years. I clean and oil it about every 15k, never had a problem, no dust or anything else in the intake.

JRJ04

Reaction score
I've had my K&N system on my truck for at least 4 years. I clean and oil it about every 15k, never had a problem, no dust or anything else in the intake.

yea the key is that you get the entire intake and not just the drop in filter.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jarrburg