Air Horn Wiring Guide

forumpete58

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just bought some air horns from O'reilly (dont need anything fancy), problem is that they have crap for instructions. Can anybody help me out on a wiring guide? Set came with a 4 post relay and the comressor has + & - terminals
Thanks!

groundhawg

Full Access Member
Reaction score
http://www.classictruckshop.com/clubs/earlyburbs/projects/bosch/foglite.jpg

Here's a good basic relay diagram.

It doesn't matter what the accesory is, it's all the same. Most relays have two output terminals...you don't have to use both.

Also, since you will probably want use your regular horn button, you can go about wiring it several ways.
1)Air horn only...just cut the original horn wire and route it to the relay trigger pole.
2)Air horn and stock horn at the same time...pull a jumper from the horn wire to the relay.
3)Both but seperately selectable using the factory horn button...cut the horn wire and route it to an ON-OFF-ON toggle switch. Run one side to the regular horn, the other to the relay, then you can chose which horn you want to use.

I will say this...I have a similar horn in my truck and am very dissapointed with it. I have it wired like #2 and it sounds stupid when it goes off because it takes the compressor a split second to spin up. So when I hit the horn button, the stock horns go, then the air horn goes just after...it just sounds goofy.

I will soon be removing that horn for a set of real air horns with a small electric compressor...I just need to get myself motivated to do it.

forumpete58

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I was wondering if you had any pictures of your setup? I'm trying find out first of all where the stock horn is located and secondly, where you mounted your horns.
Thanks!

groundhawg

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I don't have any pics of it, but I can tell you well enough.

The stock horns are located in the front passenger side corner under the inner fender plastic and are hard to get to. I forget now what color the wire is, but there are very few up there that keep going to the header panel. It is hidden pretty good.

I put the little compressor on an existing bolt right beside the radiator on the passenger side.

The horns are mounted on the bumper support brackets directly in front of the tires on each side. I bought some more of the tubing so I could split them. They face toward the inside of the bumper.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Colvinecoboost14