Air horns...finally done.

groundhawg

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'll start by saying that I HAD a set of the cheapo style Wolo horns on the truck for a while. To put it nice...they suck.

I've been getting parts lined up for a good while now. I finally got around to gathering everything up and putting it on the truck. It is probably one of the cheapest set-ups around. Most of the parts were either used or "donated" by my work.

It all started down at my buddies place when I showed him the horns that I had first. He said he had a pair of horns he pulled off an old Euk end dump at the mine he worked at. They were ugly green Hadleys, but they worked fine and were FREE.

I then talked to another buddy who had recently took the electric compressor off his XJ and turned his A/C compressor into his OBA supply. Used, but in good shape Air Ride compressor. Only problem, he kept the pressure switch. $20.

Another buddy used to work at Air Ride...mentioned to him that I was needing the pressure switch. He reaches into his toolbox and pulls out three that accidentally followed him home from work...oops. Freebie number two.

The air valve my wife ordered where she works, so I got the discount on that...although not the five finger discount. $10.

The most expensive part was the tank. I went to a heavy truck parts place and looked at the brake resivoir tanks. Picked out the one that looked the best for me and bought it. $50

The tubing and the fittings, not to mention making the brackets and the little covers, was sourced or made at work...I even got paid to do it there...nice.

The final piece I got at the parts store last night. The fuse tap to get keyed 12v to the relay. $7.

There was a few buck work of wire, the relay, blah, blah...but I already had that stuff sitting around. All told, it was right around $100...not bad I think.

I still plan to add a chuck to the system so I will have air for tires or what not. The compressor isn't the fastest thing, but I'm used to the York on my truggy, so...

Enough jabber...here's some pics.
156555.jpg

156554.jpg

156553.jpg

Last edited:

groundhawg

Full Access Member
Reaction score
156552.jpg

156551.jpg

The compressor is a TIGHT fit...but it fits. The groovy little bling air filter...something that was going to go on my YJ but I decided the Stroke needed it more.

These dudes are loud. I'm sure they can't compete with some of the train horns running around on the board, but for what I've got in them, I'll never complain.

Last edited:

BamaSixGun

SDD Super Mod/Staff
Reaction score
Very nice fab and install.

I like where you put the air compressor.

I may have relocate mine to where you installed yours.

:thumbs

kingkevindavid

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Those things look great! I am sure I have enough stuff laying around to do the same thing, I think I even have two or three sets of truck horns, I wonder if I could put a set on each side of my frame?. I think this may be my summer project.

groundhawg

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yup, not sure what is wrong with it, but the site that is hosting my pics is down. Hopefully they will get it running soon.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Colvinecoboost14