Air intake temps???

keanoknick

Big Stroker
Reaction score
So I put an Airraid intake and reusable filter on my truck this week, in hopes of helping her to breath a little better, and the turbo spooling faster. Today was the first time I've really gotten her out on the open road with it. The turbo whine is a little louder (expected) and under acceleration the engive seems to be a good bit louder in the cab, a deep throaty sound that it didn't have before. I didn't thing anything of the noise, as the filter box is open top, not closed. But a friend of mine had the same kit, and he didn't remember his sounding louder.:confused:

Well anyway I decided to see how much difference it made it intake air temp. So I set up one of the guages on my Banks PDA to display it in real time. Cruising down the Highway at 70, it was reading 105 :eek: outside air temp according to factory display was 85, so a 30 degree difference. The last time I looked at this reading was back in March, it was in the mid 70's, and the intake temp was NEVER greater than 10 degrees over ambient temp, even sitting at idle in heavy traffic.

The one thing that I did notice tonight after double checking everything was installed correctly, was that the intake air temp sensor (I don't have a MAP sensor, early 05 thing) is considerably closer to, and lightly touching the coolant degaus bottle. Do you think that it's possible that the heat is being transferred from the degaus bottle to the sensor causing it to give a false reading? Should I put something between them to insulate the sensor? I don't want to leave it as it is, as it's either giving a false reading, or this Airraid Sucks *** If it is just a false reading, how do I find out? How should I correct it, as I don't want it to stay like that, as I'm sure it would cause the computer to not give the engine an optimum air/fuel mixture. Also if it is a false reading, could that have something to do with why the engine sounds louder under acceleration?

Maybe I should go back to stock for now, and save my pennies for a Banks Ram Air, or AFE stage II, I got the Airraid, because I was Given a deal I couldn't possibly refuse:thumbs

Sorry for the long post. I really appreciate your guidance and knowledge in this issue.:notworthy

bushpilot

Full Access Member
Reaction score
youre "open" air filter sounds like it breathing more air from the heated
engine compartment ! Yet another reason NOT to use anything but
the factory filter !

keanoknick

Big Stroker
Reaction score
I don't think that's the case, (but it might be) as I got the same results at idle with the hood open, and it has a rubber boot around it that seals it to the hood when the hood is closed, and it appears to be a very good seal.

CHPMustang

Reaction score
Use some baby powder on the top edge of the weatherstrip to see how well it's sealing to the hood insulation.

Sent you a PM also Knick:sweet

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodrow58