Air intake: Tymar by BDP or AFE Stage 2

DA-HEAT

The First Stroker
Reaction score
I have been debating what intake system to go with on my truck. I know alot of you guys run the tymar intake or one similar to it that is homeade, so do you like it or is there an advantage to it over the afe. What i understand is the tymar intake is only 160 compared to the 290 price of the afe kit, so i like the price for sure. My concern is the filtration of the tymar do you guys think the filtration is as good as stock or maybe better or possibly worse. I don't go mudding or off roading so it won't eat alot of sand or anything but I don't want anything getting to my turbo. Any input appreciated. Oh and where is a replacement filter for the tymar available.

95_stroker

Jefe
Reaction score
The open element filter is FAR better than stock. Matter of fact if you are still running the stock air box on your 94 you at a bare minimum need to check to see that it was made right by the recall. The original had plastic bolts and a lid that would warp causing the seal to be broken between the lid and filter element. In turn that would dust the turbo and ruin an engine.

Which is better between the Tymar™ and an AFE? That is purely choice and finance driven. The replacement filters for a Tymar™ are available from Dale at Tymar Performance or can be had from NAPA PN#6637.

btw..... BDP is not the maker of the Tymar™, he is simply a licensed sales agent for Dale.

DA-HEAT

The First Stroker
Reaction score
Oh I see. Yes I still currently have the factory air box and air tube. I did not consider that so I do seal how a sealed filter will be the best bet. Don't know about the recall I will have to look at that. What I see being on a budget the tymar would be the best way for me to go and that the afe kit can't possibly be that much better to cost that much more. Thank you:sweet

Patrick Feeley

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You can tell if you have the very old stock box by looking at the lid hold-down bolts. If they are plastic with recessed square-drive holes, it is the pre-recall version. If the hold-down bolts are metal with regular-looking slotted drive (just bigger), then it is the updated version. I can't say I know much about the AFE, but I'll go with the Donaldson filter (same as the Tymar) every time. It lasts a long time, filters much better than stock, and flows much better. Buy a couple of filters at a time and it'll cost less than $25 each. I will not go back to any type of cleanable filter as it's just a pain in the butt (buying cleaner, cleaning, waiting for the thing to dry, etc.). Plus many times after repeated cleanings, the filter media begins to "open up" leading to increased dirt infiltration. I also don't worry about the underhood temps being a big deal with the open elements. Testing done by other folks has shown that the temperature increase at normal driving speeds is only maybe about 20F. You might see more than that when crawing at very slow speeds, but generally you're not looking at generating big power at that time either. JMHO, Cheers!

dante59

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hi Da-heat, I went to the DIY Tymar open air filter. I use the Duralite air cleaner part #546637 and I'm sure it is like the Donaldson and Baldwin filter. On the following lab test from Blackstone it was noted that it had improved my engine performance. Very happy I made the change. Dante59

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodrow58