Air Tanks

Reaction score
What size tanks are people running on there trucks? I'll prolly just mount it on top of my fenderwell thats wasted space anyways. Air tank will be for horns and airing up tires.

DaveBen

SDD Senior Member
Reaction score
I am running about a two gallon pancake tank. I could not find anywhere to mount it under the hood that would not be in the way, so I mounted it under the passengers front side of the bed. See my pictures.

Dave

architect-builder

Full Access Member
Reaction score
5 Gallon on Frame. Thinking about adding (2) more 5 gallons under the sides of my truck box (in front of wheel well) since like you said, that is pretty much wasted space.

Barrett

iracemine

black and tan
Reaction score
did all of you guys buy your horns or "kits" from the hornblaster.com???

this excludes the train guys:D

architect-builder

Full Access Member
Reaction score
did all of you guys buy your horns or "kits" from the hornblaster.com???

this excludes the train guys:D

As far as my onboard air /horns, my system was pieced together;

The actual Hadleys came off a Freightliner at a wrecking yard. Got them for $50 for the set.

The 550C came from this guy on Ebay. But you can get a similiar price from Suicide Doors

The Viair Hookup Kit came from Central4wd.com

5 gallon air tank and 30 amp relay came from Suicide Doors

The 3/8" Solenioids came from Suicide Doors.

And, the rest of the fittings, 3/8" hose, tubing, wiring, etc., came from Home Depot.

I have mine wired through a switch to go from stock to air under the dash/steering column.

It sounds exactly like it did on the Semi Truck. I always get grins when I lay on them. (Or I get the, "what the hell was that look" from the person who just pulled in front of me :eek: ) Also works well with my siren and warning lights to get traffic out of the way (you know the ones that cannot see a big red truck, bright red & white lights flashing in their mirror :rant ) when responding to calls.

(Plus the look on my Ford Service Manager's face when I hit the horn button is always priceless :D ).

All together it was about $580.00, but I know you could piece together a less expensive set up. It was actually a lot of fun to install, and with the capacity of the 550C and air tank, I have run my air nailers off my truck. It's very nice in areas where plugging in my porter cable is difficult.

I'm really glad I finally got this mod finished. I have wanted to do it since we got Rachel's first Excursion in 2001, (Just knew she would not let me do it to hers :rolleyes: ).

Barrett

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodrow58