Airbox mod idea...

jvencius

Full Access Member
Reaction score
While I was working on the PSD tonight (installing a kill switch, relocating the crankcase vent, and installing a new high pressure crossover line), I had an idea to get better airflow within the stock airbox. Right where the snorkel comes into the airbox there is a piece of fiberglass that extends from the top of the box to within ~2 1/2 inches of the bottom. My idea was to saw that piece out of the way, thereby increasing the area where the snorkel enters the airbox from ~9"x2 1/2" to ~9"x9". Even though my AFE Stage 1 intake doesn't latch in place anymore, it still fits well since it gets sandwiched between the hood insulation and the bottom half of the airbox. I've only driven appx. 5 miles with that mod done so I can't really tell any difference in EGT's or turbo spool-up times, but I don't suppose removing a choke point for air-in can hurt.

I know the picture is really crappy quality, but the lighting was only so-so and my phone can take a max 640x480 picture. The orange flagging tape marks the bottom of where that air dam used to be, now nearly the whole bottom half of the airbox is open and can flow more air.

CHPMustang

Reaction score
I wrote up an article a couple months back regarding the cold air intake including removing the splash guard with photos,lemme try and get that article up Sunday along with a few others:sweet

jvencius

Full Access Member
Reaction score
CHPMustang said:
I wrote up an article a couple months back regarding the cold air intake including removing the splash guard with photos,lemme try and get that article up Sunday along with a few others:sweet

Is that piece of fiberglass I hacked out actually a splash guard? Since I haven't done the ZooDad mod, I'm really not worried about getting water to the air filter since I've never noticed water/snow building up in the stock intake snorkel.

CHPMustang

Reaction score
Thats what it be in a nutshell is a splash guard even tho I can't find anything in the service manual pertaining to the part of the airbox. ;)

I removed the upper part of the airbox when I installed the Tymar so the filter/intake tube lays lower than riding over the top of the lip.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodrow58