AIS Filter

blueoneton

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I still run the stock air filter set up, but thinking about the AIS set up for my 2002 7.3

Just wondering if the AIS is a good choice or the 6637 some favor?

Thanks
bot

Tail_Gunner

CRJ & ERJ A&P Mech.
Reaction score
I've been running an AIS for a long time now. I tried a Tymar style setup for a while. But I found that when towing in hot weather, the fan clutch was engaging more often with the Tymar intake system. I reasoned that the reason was the Tymar used warmer air from the engine compartment vs free air from the grille area.

I got an AIS and found that the cooling fan clutch engaged much less frequently, an indication the engine was running significantly cooler. I soon noticed that the restrction indicator would get sucked down without much difficulty. This indicated the engine was wanting more air than what was getting delivered. There is an accessory item for the AIS called a foam sleeve. What you do is create another opening between the AIS filter box and the fenderwell next to it. The foam sleeve is like a big gasket that allows the AIS to draw supplemental air from the air intake passage that was originally used in the first Superdutys.

Between the AIS, a foam sleeve and a Zoodad mod, I haven't seen any sign that there has been any intake restrictions what so ever plus the engine runs cooler. :sweet:sweet

BIG JOE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've been running an AIS for a long time now. I tried a Tymar style setup for a while. But I found that when towing in hot weather, the fan clutch was engaging more often with the Tymar intake system. I reasoned that the reason was the Tymar used warmer air from the engine compartment vs free air from the grille area.

I got an AIS and found that the cooling fan clutch engaged much less frequently, an indication the engine was running significantly cooler. I soon noticed that the restrction indicator would get sucked down without much difficulty. This indicated the engine was wanting more air than what was getting delivered. There is an accessory item for the AIS called a foam sleeve. What you do is create another opening between the AIS filter box and the fenderwell next to it. The foam sleeve is like a big gasket that allows the AIS to draw supplemental air from the air intake passage that was originally used in the first Superdutys.

Between the AIS, a foam sleeve and a Zoodad mod, I haven't seen any sign that there has been any intake restrictions what so ever plus the engine runs cooler. :sweet:sweet

X2 ;tu

I HAD an open air set-up, HAD the same issues. Went to an AIS w/fender sleeve and have never looked back. (also, I got tired of the ROAR when pulling my 5r up a hill with the open air filter)

Joe

blueoneton

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The AIS sounds like the way to go. I guess the fender sleeve option is also the way to go. What is the install time 30-45 minutes I guess? Where is a good place to purchase this from?

Thanks
Bill

BIG JOE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The AIS sounds like the way to go. I guess the fender sleeve option is also the way to go. What is the install time 30-45 minutes I guess? Where is a good place to purchase this from?

Thanks
Bill

Being the AIS is FOMOCO optional part, it'l come with a new Battery tray, and replaces the Whole Air Box/Intake set-up from the snorkle inlet to the filter housing out-let. Takes about an hour to R&R. The fender sleeve is an aftermarket Mod to the set up

Many of the SDD site sponcors have'm (with the sleeve mod). I got mine at dieselpowerproducts.com

Joe

Tail_Gunner

CRJ & ERJ A&P Mech.
Reaction score
Just for sh*ts & grins, I went looking through the sponsor websites looking for an AIS & Foam Sleeve. A couple of the websites didn't seem to be working, most didn't have the AIS & foam sleeve. But I did find both at Pure Diesel Power. Hope it helps.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodrow58