AIS severe duty filter kit/strange noise under hood

tptfps

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Is anyone running the AIS severe duty filter kit that powerstrokeshop.com is offering on special for 198.00? Just curious. I think I need to do something as far as a different intake setup. I pulled my 5th wheel down to Branson, Mo. this holiday weekend. Lots of long severe grades. It's the hardest I've pulled my truck. I was very happy with the power in general but when the turbo was pretty well maxed out, I would hear a sound that I would describe as a sucking sound that was very noticeable. ( my wife even noticed) Could this be that I'm starving the engine and the noise was coming from the filter box?
Note:400 miles on a fram replacement filter. thanks in advance, Scott

tptfps

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
will that work on a 99, and did you see any difference? flow, egt drop, etc.?

kbaxter

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
I just found one of these filters at a junk yard and put it on my truck with a new factory blue filter and ran it for the first time this weekend with the change in the end with a 4-1/2" hole and a home made sleeve. (I couldn't see paying $25 for that)

Pulling a 10K lb trailer up a hill at 55 mph and pushing 25lbs Boost and 1190 ºF EGt, didn't notice anything like that on mine.

The filter minder hasn't even moved on the new filter. At high boost on an 2 year old filter that came in the housing, it would move about 1/3 of the way without the hole in the housing.

The only thing I may not like on mine is the compressor wheel change. Those aftermarket compressor wheels put out a killer whistle between 2400-2750 RPM.

Bushwakd

Reaction score
Alot of AIS owners have gone with the Fender Sleeve Mod with an improvement in air flow. Also in the front grill area where the AIS Snorkel is make sure there is no rubber flap blocking air flow. By cutting an opening at the grill snorkel opening is another way to improve airflow. It sucks to have to do all this cutting and modding to a new airbox but the AIS will keep the dirt and dust out of the turbo and out of your engine for a longer life as long as you keep the AIS lid on properly.

JLDickmon

ursus combibo
Reaction score
oh yeah.. you could be whooping enough air through the intake it's making a sucking sound...

especially towing a load... 1190 deg of egt is gonna spin the beejeezus outta the turbo, so it's gonna stuff exactly one buttload of air down the intake.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jarrburg