All you communications folks.....

s d mills

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Commercial, Amateur, CB, Emergency, lowly civil servants....makes me no nevermind. If you key a microphone....what, where, when and why do you operate?

Seems to be some interest here, but I haven't found a lot in my searches (I'm a late arrival to SDD, remember?). I've read several comments about no "new blood" in the ranks. Well....let's generate some interest and see if we can positively affect that.

Where you been, what have you done, and where have you done it? If you're active....where, when and with what?

73 de N9EMZ

Ford_Forgotton

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have my ham ticket. Had it for 15 years now. Hardly ever get on the radio tho.

I also work in radio. Computers mostly, but I have to make them talk to 100,000 watt AM transmitters, and 50,000 watt FMs.

If you can hear it on the air in Seattle, or New Orleans (and soon portland, OR) then there is a good chance I've had my fingers in it.

CHPMustang

Reaction score
I occasionally participate in SkyWarn weather nets in my area when available.

I socially yack on the 2 meter (144-148 Mhz) & 440 Mhz bands around the Dallas area and also use various amateur band frequencies for public fundraising events that our family volunteers with.:sweet

Rookie

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I got my amateur license through my job. I'm a part of the Public Health Amateur Radio net for Seattle King County Department of Public Health. Each of our clinics, main offices and EOC has a base station system with battery backup. Because I'm considered mobile, I'm currently using a Icom handheld with a glass mount antenna on my truck and a mag mount on the wifes Jeep (she refuses to let me poke a hole in the roof...). If (and I'm sure it's coming) our area is hit with the big one, we will be one of the voices between the first responders, hospitals and public health systems.

Ron, KD7UBW

RenoF250

DungBeetle
Reaction score
I have a Tech license but do not use it. Just got it because a friend was bugging me to. Don't have a radio or anything. I am thinking of getting one. My uncle is an Extra and my dad is a Tech as well.

Crumm

Fordoholic
Reaction score
s d mills said:
If you key a microphone....what, where, when and why do you operate?
I would fall into the Commercial and CB category. I have a VHF in my pickup and big truck for communicating at work with dispatch and other trucks. The trucks on the Dalton highway that run from here to the North slope use VHF rather than CB's because of the much better range. I also use a CB in the big truck, pickup and boat for general communication and chit-chat.

Tbar

SDD STAFF/Moderator
Reaction score
2m, 70cm, 6m & 11m.................

I know, I know...........no self respecting ham uses 11m but I find it essential
for navigating rush hour traffic. :D

I am part of RACES/ARES and do a little storm tracking/reporting.

I have recently started using the 6m band and am having alot of fun with it. Made 12 contacts Tuesday night up into MI, MN, OH & WI. Tried making contact with Oboy in NM last night but the band wasn't cooperating.

I have really enjoyed using the cross band repeat(2m/70cm) option on my Kenwood radio in the truck to boost the signal from the HT back to the repeater during public service functions. Also use the cross band repeat out at the cabin..........hook mobile radio to the tower antenna and carry the HT around the property which allows me to communitcate 70+ miles on 2watts of power.

Tbar

W4RLR

High Tech Hillbilly
Reaction score
I'm a newly licensed ham, KI4PEQ. Technician class studying for the General exam now. I'm just getting involved with the local club and will participate in the upcoming field day. My new mobile rig is on order. In the meantime, I have EchoLink to play with, using the EchoMac client. My goals are to aid in disaster preparedness and emergency communications, important stuff in hurricane country.:)

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodrow58